The Student Room Group

Is anyone else as nervous as I am?

Hello! I know this post probably won’t fit well because I’m not aiming for top grades, but hopefully there will be someone else in my situation too :smile:

I’m sure that I’ve passed 4 of the subjects I need and gotten the grades for the course I want to do next year (English Language, Literature, Spanish and BTEC Business) but I’m really stressing about everything else, especially Maths and History.

I need a 5 in History for my course in September, and was close to a 5 in all of my mocks but never got there exactly. I never got to find out what my weaknesses were in the mocks because I didn’t get to see the papers, but I had revised nearly all of the content by the time I had each exam so hopefully I got a 5 (or if I got a 4, hopefully I could talk my way into the course)

I’ve never been good at Maths or Science, so I’ll probably get 3-3/4-3 in Science and a 3 in Maths. I can’t change it now, it is what it is, I’ll just have to re-sit Maths later in the year.

Psychology is the same as Maths and Science honestly. None of the content ever managed to stick no matter how many flashcards, past papers and mocks I sat and I genuinely don’t think I’ll get a 3, let alone a 4. I got a 2 in my January mock and didn’t get any better afterwards.

If there’s any one else who has similar worries about these subjects/any of their subjects at all, please comment here because maybe then my ego/self-belief will lift a little bit and I won’t feel as useless :smile:
I was more concerned about English and right now, I'm concerned about Science. I'm struggling to find a way to do a GCSE Science Course at College. For my Level 3 Extended Diploma of Applied Science Course, I have to have a GCSE Science qualification. I'm doing the Biomedical Science Course by the way, but that won't happen until next year. So, I'd better hurry up...
Original post by cloverpatches111
Hello! I know this post probably won’t fit well because I’m not aiming for top grades, but hopefully there will be someone else in my situation too :smile:

I’m sure that I’ve passed 4 of the subjects I need and gotten the grades for the course I want to do next year (English Language, Literature, Spanish and BTEC Business) but I’m really stressing about everything else, especially Maths and History.

I need a 5 in History for my course in September, and was close to a 5 in all of my mocks but never got there exactly. I never got to find out what my weaknesses were in the mocks because I didn’t get to see the papers, but I had revised nearly all of the content by the time I had each exam so hopefully I got a 5 (or if I got a 4, hopefully I could talk my way into the course)

I’ve never been good at Maths or Science, so I’ll probably get 3-3/4-3 in Science and a 3 in Maths. I can’t change it now, it is what it is, I’ll just have to re-sit Maths later in the year.

Psychology is the same as Maths and Science honestly. None of the content ever managed to stick no matter how many flashcards, past papers and mocks I sat and I genuinely don’t think I’ll get a 3, let alone a 4. I got a 2 in my January mock and didn’t get any better afterwards.

If there’s any one else who has similar worries about these subjects/any of their subjects at all, please comment here because maybe then my ego/self-belief will lift a little bit and I won’t feel as useless :smile:

Hi @cloverpatches111

Your concerns are completely valid and it can seem overwhelming to feel like you won't get the grades you want or need. It's easy to get stressed but the best advice I've ever gotten especially looking back on my own expereince is to focus on what you can control. You've completed your exams which means that there's nothing you can currently do to change the results but you can work on what you do next. The best thing to do now is to try to take a break, if you've tried your best then that's all anyone can ask for, then you can a have a think about your options and plan ahead. Also remember your results may turn out even better than you expected so try not to overthink or worry too much.

You may, however, need to pivot based on your results. I would recommend speaking to your teachers, tutors and family to get advice on the next best steps and to offer you with support.

I was also not a huge fan of Maths and didn't do great at GCSE level (BUT) I graduated from university with first class degree honours in a subject I was interested in. It might seem very daunting right now at this stage but it's very important to know your grades don't define you and they are not a setback if you don't allow them to be.

May I ask what course/s you'd like to study after getting your results?

I hope this helps to soothe some of those fears.

Best,
Almasi Samuels, Ravensbourne University London alumna
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest