The Student Room Group

no real friends

I’m entering year 11 in September, and I’m doing so with 0 real friends.

I hang out with 3 girls at school who are the most boring,mundane,uninteresting people I’ve ever met in my life and I’m not trying to be rude at all, it’s just so true. I know they don’t like me aswell.

I’m a shy, introverted person but am the type who will be very social when talking to friends. I have quite a few class friends who I would absolutely love to hang out with but they have their own friend groups established long ago.

Im really alone and have no one to hang out with in the summer except my family. Every time one of the girls has asked me to hang out outside of school(before summer holidays, and only one of them has ever asked) I decline because I know that if I am miserable hanging out with them in school, it won’t be any better outside of school.

It hurts looking around seeing everyone having fun and enjoying their time with their friends who they clearly like, and i really wish it was me but every friend I do love being around has their own friend group.

This makes being in school so, so much harder to deal with knowing you have nobody. Can anyone relate?
Hey, I can kinda relate. I lost almost all of my friends at one point and felt like I was left with no one. I would often watch my ex best friends laughing together at lunch as I sat alone, I would often sit with them only to be ignored but I just didn't want to be alone. You get pretty good at being comfortable by yourself, but I still felt so lonely all the time and I preferred being in lessons and would often stay in my classrooms throughout break.

If there's nice people in your classes, try hanging out with them. I know that's easier said than done - I often thought about joining a class friend of mine's friend group, but the issue was the rest of their friends weren't so nice so I never did. I did, however, end up becoming good friends again with an old friend of mine who I had stopped talking to for a while - I'm still great friends with them now. (however, as you said, they had their own friend group so I didn't see them as often as I'd have liked)

It's good that you have the start of the year to start integrating yourself into a new group. And old friend of mine joined my old friendship group at the start of year 11 because she shared a class with another of my old friends, and we were more than happy for her to be a part of the group! But only because she put herself out there and started talking to us and hanging out with us, otherwise we'd've never known her.

Do you have friends outside of school? Especially as you grow older, you'll start to gain friends outside of school from different things you do. Also, once you leave school it's like everyone almost instantaneously forgets about cliches and groups, and you realise how unimportant it all was and the fact that there were so many nice people I could have been friends with if only I'd had the courage to try and talk to them and hang out with them.
Reply 2
Hey, I too can relate. I do prefer to be alone but I don't like being lonely so when I go out I still talk to people I know in town and then that's it for me. I personally got rid of all my friends, there was a lot of drama going on and arguing on both sides, for instance x and her friends didn't like y and her friends, but I was friends with all of them. They were "beefing" as they said with each other.

I found out quite a lot of them were talking about me behind my back. I'm very shy and I'm an introvert, I like leading a private life now, although I don't like having no friends I do feel a lot calmer.
I can totally relate to that. I also enjoy my alone time, but I don't like feeling lonely, so when I go out, I make sure to interact with people I know in town, and that's usually enough for me. As for friends, I decided to let go of all of them due to the constant drama and arguments between different groups. For example, X and her friends didn't get along with Y and her friends, but I was friends with all of them, which put me in the middle of their conflicts.

Eventually, I discovered that some of them were talking negatively about me behind my back. Being a shy introvert, I've come to cherish a more private life. Although not having friends can be challenging, it has brought me a sense of calmness and peace.

Quick Reply

Latest