The Student Room Group

Can I still do an Apprenticeship

Would I be considered overqualified since obtaining a degree to do an apprenticeship in IT support and would you please be able to tell me where I could possibly find these types of apprenticeships if I am able to.

Thank you

:smile:
Reply 1
Hi there. What was your degree in - was it a related subject? There is nothing stopping you undertaking an apprenticeship even though you have completed a degree. People often have a change of career.

Often an apprenticeship is a good way of getting the practical experience of the role in a work environment, something that you don't get at uni. Apprenticeships are advertised on the Government website (https://www.gov.uk/apply-apprenticeship). You can also speak to your local college to see if they have any employers registered with them.
Original post by JohnB1
Hi there. What was your degree in - was it a related subject? There is nothing stopping you undertaking an apprenticeship even though you have completed a degree. People often have a change of career.

Often an apprenticeship is a good way of getting the practical experience of the role in a work environment, something that you don't get at uni. Apprenticeships are advertised on the Government website (https://www.gov.uk/apply-apprenticeship). You can also speak to your local college to see if they have any employers registered with them.

Hi John I hope your well my degree was in Computer Networks and Technology (Digital Technology) so yes it’s related to the apprenticeship that I was hoping to do. Yeah I was hoping to get the practical experience before then getting a job within that sector as a IT Technical Support that’s the role I want to do I’ve been studying IT my whole life from high school into college into university
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Mohammed_80
Hi John I hope your well my degree was in Computer Networks and Technology (Digital Technology) so yes it’s related to the apprenticeship that I was hoping to do. Yeah I was hoping to get the practical experience before then getting a job within that sector as a IT Technical Support that’s the role I want to do I’ve been studying IT my whole life from high school into college into university

I'd like to think that an employer would be very happy to take you on as an apprentice. Clearly you have already shown aptitude for the subject, and so you should be able to demonstrate this at interview. There will be opportunities for apprenticeships at both level 3 and level 4, and so you should look at both to see what you think suits you best. Now is a good time to be looking for apprenticeships, as many start in Sep. Remember though that you may be competing with school leavers for a place too, although your additional qualification may help you. All the best in searching for an apprenticeship - let us know how you get on.
Original post by JohnB1
I'd like to think that an employer would be very happy to take you on as an apprentice. Clearly you have already shown aptitude for the subject, and so you should be able to demonstrate this at interview. There will be opportunities for apprenticeships at both level 3 and level 4, and so you should look at both to see what you think suits you best. Now is a good time to be looking for apprenticeships, as many start in Sep. Remember though that you may be competing with school leavers for a place too, although your additional qualification may help you. All the best in searching for an apprenticeship - let us know how you get on.

Thank you :smile:
What about internships or placements perhaps now that I am a graduate and building experience to gain further skills would that be good to an apprenticeship
Original post by Mohammed_80
What about internships or placements perhaps now that I am a graduate and building experience to gain further skills would that be good to an apprenticeship

Any experience will put you in a good place, especially as it will give you opportunity to demonstrate your commitment to the profession at interview.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending