The Student Room Group

I feel lost

I just feel completely lost on what to do with everything. With University I’m thinking about moving out but my parents won’t allow me, and for all the people who say that I should just move, it’s really not that easy. I’m 17 and I feel as if I’m being treated as a baby. I don’t even know for certain on what I want to do at University anyways.

I also have a problem when I become obsessively fixated on certain things I read or watch and get upset when it’s not my reality. I’ve never been in a relationship and I know I’m only 17 but everyone around me has which makes me feel left out and doomed to be alone forever. It might sound a tad dramatic but I just feel like I’m stuck in a never ending loop, I just feel bored and lost. The city I live in is also utterly boring, there is literally nothing to do here. This post was just a little rant because I feel a bit alone and I’m wondering if any other people feel the exact same?
Reply 1
In terms of moving for uni, maybe it would be possible to live away from home at a local uni, so your parents would know you're still in the area but you would have more independence, or perhaps you could apply to some unis when the time comes and, if you get in, then try to reason with your parents why going to that uni, even if it meant moving out, would be the correct choice. Plus, even if you did stay living at home for uni, you will still get some more independence.

For the fixation stuff, I've had some similar issues (more in terms of not wanting to even open the possibility of liking new things rather than disappointment that it's not reality) but, for me at least, the only way to get over it was to force myself to watch other things, maybe for you it would help if you read / watched stuff about realities you really wouldn't want to live in?

For the relationship stuff: I've never had a relationship and I'm also 17 and I also worry that I'll be alone forever but it's important to keep in mind that we're still young and you've only met a fraction of the people you'll ever meet and in adult life there'll be some many more people and opportunities.

Quick Reply

Latest