The Student Room Group

CS AQA NEA - my own hashing algorithm?

Doing the programming for my nea atm, do I need to write my own hashing algorithm from scratch or can I just follow an existing hashing algorithm like SHA1 or MD5? This hashing algorithm isn't a big part of my program, just to encrypt something.

Thanks!
Reply 1
You can use someone else's algorithm as long as you explicitly state who made it/where you got it from
Reply 2
Okay thanks, because in the mark scheme it says that Hashing is part of band A for the technical solution. Should I actually explain the algorithm as well (and reference my source) then in my design section as well?
Reply 3
Original post by mskr710
Okay thanks, because in the mark scheme it says that Hashing is part of band A for the technical solution. Should I actually explain the algorithm as well (and reference my source) then in my design section as well?

There should be some library you can use to avoid needing to type out the algorithm. If it's not your algorithm you won't get any marks for the explanation in the design section anyway
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 4
Okay thanks, let's say I do use a library for the algorithm which does most of the work for me, could I still get marks for using the algorithm even though I'm not programming the hashing algorithm itself manually?
Reply 5
Original post by mskr710
Okay thanks, let's say I do use a library for the algorithm which does most of the work for me, could I still get marks for using the algorithm even though I'm not programming the hashing algorithm itself manually?

TLDR; yes

I believe you would - it's more about just using hashing than implementing it.
You'd probably get more marks for creating your own algorithm but that'll probably be less secure than existing libraries so you might lose marks on the design section.
If it's not your design then there's no difference between writing it manually and a library - you'll probably still get marks

Quick Reply

Latest