The Student Room Group

Compelling personal reasons - Second time! Help!

Hello!

I applied for CPR last year due to mental health issues and being newly diagnosed and going through therapy. I was accepted and given 1 year funding discretion. Great! However, I stayed on the same course and came to realise I did not want to be studying this course. I had not had time to develop an idea of what I really wanted for myself due to making decisions in line with my mental state at the time. Now that I have had therapy and had time to become a whole person a lot of decisions I made in my life are not the same decisions I would make now. This includes my course. I failed the year as I had no interest in my current course anymore.

I really want to change my course and start again. I would need 1 year discretion again and I’m wondering if people think this is even possible.

This is not as simple as me just wanting to change course. My mental health clouded my judgement for years of my life and I did not have the capacity to make the right decisions for myself or understand what I wanted. It’s hard to make life changing decisions such as my university journey when you are clouded by mental health.

Any advice or info would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
Reply 1
Original post by Aimeeuxox
Hello!

I applied for CPR last year due to mental health issues and being newly diagnosed and going through therapy. I was accepted and given 1 year funding discretion. Great! However, I stayed on the same course and came to realise I did not want to be studying this course. I had not had time to develop an idea of what I really wanted for myself due to making decisions in line with my mental state at the time. Now that I have had therapy and had time to become a whole person a lot of decisions I made in my life are not the same decisions I would make now. This includes my course. I failed the year as I had no interest in my current course anymore.

I really want to change my course and start again. I would need 1 year discretion again and I’m wondering if people think this is even possible.

This is not as simple as me just wanting to change course. My mental health clouded my judgement for years of my life and I did not have the capacity to make the right decisions for myself or understand what I wanted. It’s hard to make life changing decisions such as my university journey when you are clouded by mental health.

Thank you.

How many years of university have you completed so far? You usually get the length of your course + 1 year, so if you have had last year disregarded due to CPR then that wouldn't take out of your entitlement, and this year would count as the gift year. You should still be okay to change your course- the problem would be if you had gotten to year 2 then changed your course. What do Student Finance advise?
Reply 2
Hello!

Thank you.

what evidence did you submit for your CPR?? i have a doctor letter confirming my health condition but he didn't go into much detail
Reply 3
Original post by Nadim08
what evidence did you submit for your CPR?? i have a doctor letter confirming my health condition but he didn't go into much detail

For me I didn't have a doctor's note but I had two letters from my uni with one of them going into a lot of detail. And some other evidence from term time.
Reply 4
Original post by Shaaayxp
For me I didn't have a doctor's note but I had two letters from my uni with one of them going into a lot of detail. And some other evidence from term time.

was your CPR issue regarding health/medical?
Reply 5
Original post by Nadim08
was your CPR issue regarding health/medical?

Long term mental health condition- I was in contact with advisors at my uni during my experience. The gp as well but they have been on holiday so I wasn't able to get a letter in time.
Hello!

Thank you.

Hello , sorry I can’t help because Im kinda in a difficult/Unknown situation myself . Please can I ask what evidence did you submit and how many pieces of evidence did you submit. Did you also go into full detail when writing your own supporting evidence .

Quick Reply

Latest