The Student Room Group

Subjects for economics

Hi! Hope you all are well. I am currently in year 13 and have predicted A* in all of the following subjects- Math, Econ, Psychology, and Accounting. I want to apply for econ at cambridge and lse. Is it possible for me to get in with those subjects or do i need to reconsider degree options, perhaps e&m at oxford(note my school does not offer fm) Any feedback would be very helpful!
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Suh777
Hi! Hope you all are well. I am currently in year 13 and have predicted A* in all of the following subjects- Math, Econ, Psychology, and Accounting. I want to apply for econ at cambridge and lse. Is it possible for me to get in with those subjects or do i need to reconsider degree options, perhaps e&m at oxford(note my school does not offer fm) Any feedback would be very helpful!

You almost certainly won't get into Cambridge or LSE without further maths. You have a good chance everywhere else though, including Oxford E&M (or at least as good as anyone else applying there).
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply! But does my school not offering it affect it in any way?
Reply 3
Original post by Suh777
Thanks for the reply! But does my school not offering it affect it in any way?

Yes, LSE state that if your school does not offer it, you should make that clear in your application. You might therefore still have a slight chance of getting in, but as it is so crazily competitive anyway, i don't know if it is worth it. Also, if you did get in, you'd be doing more maths than economic as it is so maths heavily, and almost everyone around you will have the advantage of having done FM, and students there are renowned for being pushy and sharp elbowed. I guess you can try as an extreme long shot, as it is only 1 of your 5 options.

Without FM, I think Oxford would be a much better choice than Cambridge. If you did want to apply to Cambridge anyway, you would need to ensure that you don't apply to the colleges that say FM is compulsory, like johns.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending