The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Communication at Sheffield Hallam University

I graduated last year from SHU and i had an awful journey. Some of my tutors were amazing and went out of their way to help but that was a small majority. There was a very high turnover of staff within the institution, some of them didn't reply to emails, didn't answer questions properly and through covid this was even worse. I even noticed that some lecturers at SHU aimed microaggressions at certain students which was very uncomfortable to witness.

What was even worse was the lack of support for mental health at this university. The amount of times I had to wait for ages to be answered by hallamhelp with each advisor telling me different information left me feeling extremely anxious, and the administration team at sheffield hallam were so unorganised.

I've reflected on this a year since graduating and realised that the communication was abismal. Departments did not liaise with each other and the teaching was so unstructured. I am surprise I graduated with the lack of help. But shoutout to those lecturers and staff who actually gave students the time of day.
I think this is common accross many universities nowadays. Especially since the pandemic, I don't think it's controversial to say that the UK has suffered from a decline in academic standards at universities, not helped by the fact of a normalisation of less direct support from the departments or the declining ability of students to influence the direction and quality of their education. Honestly for the amount of money paid to these institutions, I personally believe the vast majority of universities have turned into business institutions who prioritize remaining/increasing student numbers over delivering education of consistent/improved quality compared to that received by graduates past.

I'm very sorry that you had such a poor experience, unfortunately I don't see these trends improving...
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous
I graduated last year from SHU and i had an awful journey. Some of my tutors were amazing and went out of their way to help but that was a small majority. There was a very high turnover of staff within the institution, some of them didn't reply to emails, didn't answer questions properly and through covid this was even worse. I even noticed that some lecturers at SHU aimed microaggressions at certain students which was very uncomfortable to witness.

What was even worse was the lack of support for mental health at this university. The amount of times I had to wait for ages to be answered by hallamhelp with each advisor telling me different information left me feeling extremely anxious, and the administration team at sheffield hallam were so unorganised.

I've reflected on this a year since graduating and realised that the communication was abismal. Departments did not liaise with each other and the teaching was so unstructured. I am surprise I graduated with the lack of help. But shoutout to those lecturers and staff who actually gave students the time of day.

Hi,

I am so sorry to hear that you weren’t happy with your experience at Sheffield Hallam. We know how important receiving access to mental health and wellbeing support is, so thank you for feeding back your concerns. We are currently working on increasing our range of support and speed of response as it is such an important area at the university. Students at Sheffield Hallam have access to tools online, as well as appointments, crisis support and access to help.

We are sorry you’ve had this experience, we’ll pass this on to Hallam Help to make them aware of your experience and ensure that we are doing everything we can for our students.

Best wishes,
Phoebe

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending