The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

university

Hi!, I need help on deciding on which university I want to study interior architecture in. My top 3 choices are University of Salford, Sheffield Hallam and Leeds becket. Any advice?

Thanks
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi!, I need help on deciding on which university I want to study interior architecture in. My top 3 choices are University of Salford, Sheffield Hallam and Leeds becket. Any advice?
Thanks

Hi there,

I can only comment on Sheffield Hallam but I thought I'd tell you about my experience of studying here!
I've really enjoyed studying here and I've found the uni itself to be great. All of the professors and teachers that I've had have been very helpful and want you to do your best. You also get three mentors for your time at University - an academic advisor, a student support advisor and an employability advisor so these are great points of contact if you ever have a question or need something and they are always happy to talk and arrange a meeting with you if needed!

I've also found the lectures and seminars to be really useful and they are always happy to answer your questions in seminars to make sure you understand things which has been great for me.

I don't study architecture or a similar course so I can't speak personally for how the course is, however one of my housemates studies architecture and he really enjoys it! He's just been on a trip to Rotterdam with his course so you may get similar opportunities - although it does differ each year!

As for Sheffield itself, I really like the city. There's loads of nice restaurants which are mostly well priced for students and lots of nice cafes too which I like going to with my friends after uni! It's also good for going out- there's one street which has lots of bars and pubs on it which is really fun on a night out if you like going out! There's always lots of students there and there's usually good student deals too.

If you don't like going out, I like going to the botanical gardens too which are just outside of town, next to collegiate campus. It's a really nice, peaceful place which I like going to especially in spring and summer. I also like going shopping here and Meadowhall is only 5 minutes away on the train and I really like going here!

I would recommend going to the applicant open days for each of these uni's if they are offering one. Hallam has two coming up and it's a great way to meet people who might be on your course and have more in depth talks about the course that you have chosen and look around the building you will be studying in! It's also a great opportunity if you are choosing between a few different Uni's it might help you make your mind up on which one you prefer! This is the link for Hallam's applicant open day if you want to come: https://www.shu.ac.uk/visit-us/undergraduate-applicant-open-days

Hallam also uses a platform called 'chat to a student' where you can chat to a student who is currently studying at Hallam. This is the link for this: https://www.shu.ac.uk/study-here/student-chat
You can look through the student profiles and see if anybody does a course similar to you and ask them about their experience! Or you can ask anybody on there about any questions that you have about Uni in general!

I hope some of this helps and I'm sure whichever place you choose you will have a great time!

Lucy -SHU student ambassador :smile:
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Thanks

Hey Anonymous #1,

Interior architecture sounds like such a cool choice for a degree!

As a recent graduate from the University of Salford, where I studied Theatre and Performance Practice, I'd love to share some of my top tips for finalizing your choice, especially when it comes to selecting a university for a creative degree.

Here's my biggest piece of advice: If you haven't already, make sure to attend an open day or even one of our offer holders days. This will give you the chance to experience the university firsthand, check out the interior architecture facilities, meet the tutors for your course, and see if you can imagine yourself studying and living there. When it came down to choosing a university for me, accommodation and the city the university was in were also major factors to consider. It's good that you know what course you want to study but its also the question of where do you want to based for the next three years of you life. (I loved Salford and Manchester so much I decided to stay after graduating!)

I'd also suggest delving into how each of the three universities teaches the course. This means looking into the specific modules taught year by year, as not all universities cover the same content.

Ultimately, it comes down to what feels right for you. For instance, after attending a University of Salford open day, I knew it was the right choice for me because it just "felt right".

If you have any more questions about uni life, feel free to ask!

Thanks,
Katie - (UoS official Rep) :grin:
Reply 3
Thanks

I can only speak about why I chose hallam specifically. One reason was because I love the city, its very student oriented and has a great nightlife + there's loads of food places that I like (konjo kitchen, noodlesta, and joro to name a few). I feel like sheffield has a more of a big town vibe and everything's much more compact so you don't have to walk allot on a night out, whereas when I've been out in Leeds I feel like I spend allot of my time walking from one club to another.

I also feel like hallam architecture course focuses more on sustainability and how architects have a responsibility to consider how sustainable their designs are, which i appreciate.

They also have the shArch (sheffield hallam architecture society) which I found out about at the open day. They basically have socials each week and host events (not just architecture related) and stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending