The Student Room Group

A-level options advice (Physics, Maths and F.Maths, Computing)

Hi. I have four subject I am thinking of taking:
- Physics
- Computer Science
- Maths
- Further Maths
I don't know how it is for other places but my sixth form only lets you do further maths if you pick maths as well, so that is two of three subjects already. Combinations I'm thhinking of are
- Maths, computing, physics
- Maths, further m, physics
- Maths, further m, physics and AS level computing
I am planning to go to uni after alevels in a engineering subject I think, bit I'm not sure yet. Computing would be really helpful since that's the way the world is going, and I might do that in future, but it is apparently easier to self learn than f.maths. I don't know how hard it would be to have an AS level along with some of the reputedly hardest subjects. I would really appreciate some advice, especially if you have done all of these. As a reference I got 8-9s on my GCSE mocks for all the above subjects, and am expecting that in the final results. Thanks 🙂
(edited 8 months ago)
Maths, FM and Physics is the perfect combination for most forms of Engineering. Having Maths and FM keep open computing and Economics.
Reply 2
Original post by swanseajack1
Maths, FM and Physics is the perfect combination for most forms of Engineering. Having Maths and FM keep open computing and Economics.

Have you done it? Could you tell me if you think it would be possible to do an AS level as well? (The combination you said is what I am most likely going to pick but I am considering the AS)
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Mashle
Have you done it? Could you tell me if you think it would be possible to do an AS level as well? (The combination you said is what I am most likely going to pick but I am considering the AS)

For Engineering you only need FMaths for a few unis so think about Design technology as an alternative. You need to consider degrees with a year in Industry ...
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
For Engineering you only need FMaths for a few unis so think about Design technology as an alternative. You need to consider degrees with a year in Industry ...

DT? I did not know that.
This might be a problem. Thx for the tip tho ☺️
Reply 5
Original post by Mashle
DT? I did not know that.
This might be a problem. Thx for the tip tho ☺️

There's a lot of design in Engineering so it's worth considering.

You'll need Chemistry if you are look at Chem Eng.
Reply 6
There's a lot of design in Engineering so it's worth considering.

You'll need Chemistry if you are look at Chem Eng.

Yeh I'm staying away from chem. I only get 7 to 8 on mocks, it's my worst science. Do you know if f.maths is good? Thx
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Mashle
Yeh I'm staying away from chem. I only get 7 to 8 on mocks, it's my worst science. Do you know if f.maths is good? Thx

I teach Maths so am biased! I would only consider it if you are grade 8/9 and really enjoy Maths.
Reply 8
I teach Maths so am biased! I would only consider it if you are grade 8/9 and really enjoy Maths.

Both criteria I meet, I think the main decision right now is to take computing as an AS level or not. Thanks for all the advice!
Reply 9
Original post by Mashle
Both criteria I meet, I think the main decision right now is to take computing as an AS level or not. Thanks for all the advice!

Thay's great - you actually can;t take Further Maths without Maths so it's not just your school :smile:

Why not start AS computing? It won't hurt and you can drop it - Engineers tend to use software like Solidworks rather than any programming itself.
Reply 10
Thay's great - you actually can;t take Further Maths without Maths so it's not just your school :smile:

Why not start AS computing? It won't hurt and you can drop it - Engineers tend to use software like Solidworks rather than any programming itself.

That's true. I keep on treating it like a core option, so I forget I can just drop it. I just hope my school allows it cause most of the time they don't even talk about it. They literally tell teachers not to talk about it. Which is annoying to say the least.
Reply 11
What do you mean by enjoying maths? I’m a grade 9 student, but I’m just “fine” with math. Would that be a problem?

Original post by Ishti54
What do you mean by enjoying maths? I’m a grade 9 student, but I’m just “fine” with math. Would that be a problem?

You'll be spending a lot of lesson time on Maths and have lots of work. Do you enjoy solving tricly problems where you have to persevere and try a few ideas?
Reply 13
You'll be spending a lot of lesson time on Maths and have lots of work. Do you enjoy solving tricly problems where you have to persevere and try a few ideas?

I mean, I’m just okay with it. I do get slightly intimidated but I think I should be fine.
Reply 14
Original post by Ishti54

Maybe just not being bored out of your kind would work. Maths homework is torturous. It's just so repetitive. Multistep paper 3 (GCSE) questions are better, they are satisfying to do.

Quick Reply

Latest