The Student Room Group

Compare Warwick and Durham university

Trying to decide which to put as first choice. MORSE at Warwick or. Maths/stats at Durham. Which is a better course, employability etc. but also more fun, sports etc.
Reply 1
Original post by ALS-Abbs
Trying to decide which to put as first choice. MORSE at Warwick or. Maths/stats at Durham. Which is a better course, employability etc. but also more fun, sports etc.

Fun is very subjective. I'd say nightlife, Warwick is better (at least from what I've heard) but sports-wise, Durham is better.

Between Durham and Warwick, reputation for Maths is higher at Warwick so without question I would go there but I don't know much about the degree programs you have mentioned. I mean, I went to both Open Days and I would say that the Warwick maths department was definitely more impressive. Durham had more people (which is normal for them) but Warwick was the better experience.

I would say that because Warwick has a well-regarded Economics department (after the likes of Oxbridge and LSE naturally), I would say that MORSE gives you a slight edge over the degree at Durham. Also, Durham graduate prospects aren't great because it quite literally is in the middle of nowhere and there isn't much of a hub in the city. Warwick on the other hand is very popular among employers for the likes of investment banking, computer science and finance, which is sort of the area you'll be going for I'm guessing. I mention Computer Science because stats is super important in new technologies like machine learning and Warwick is really good for Computer Science (though the rankings say otherwise) and it is very popular among employers, not to mention the strong industry connections.

Quick Reply

Latest