The Student Room Group

Oxbridge application with weaker Junior Cert?

Hi, I’m an Irish student who was wanting to apply to Oxford or Cambridge for medicine in 2025. I’m wondering if it’s worth bothering now as I had a slightly weaker junior cert (equivalent of GCSEs) and I know that a lot of applicants have pretty much perfect grades at this level. I got seven distinctions, and a higher merit in Irish, but then an achieved in art (pretty much a D).

(Maths, English, Science, Geography, History, Music, French -Distinctions
Irish- Higher merit (B)
Art - achieved)

My predicted grades for leaving cert will hopefully be eight H1s (based on exams so far) and I’ve got a lot of work experience, volunteering, and extra reading done. I just don’t want to spread myself thin with entrance exams and interviews if I have almost no chance.

I’ve also heard that Cambridge weights GCSEs less than Oxford. Is this true? - if so would i be better off applying there?
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi, I’m an Irish student who was wanting to apply to Oxford or Cambridge for medicine in 2025. I’m wondering if it’s worth bothering now as I had a slightly weaker junior cert (equivalent of GCSEs) and I know that a lot of applicants have pretty much perfect grades at this level. I got seven distinctions, and a higher merit in Irish, but then an achieved in art (pretty much a D).

(Maths, English, Science, Geography, History, Music, French -Distinctions
Irish- Higher merit (B)
Art - achieved)

My predicted grades for leaving cert will hopefully be eight H1s (based on exams so far) and I’ve got a lot of work experience, volunteering, and extra reading done. I just don’t want to spread myself thin with entrance exams and interviews if I have almost no chance.

I’ve also heard that Cambridge weights GCSEs less than Oxford. Is this true? - if so would i be better off applying there?

Your grades are superb!!! 😀 Don't be disheartened by not having all Distinction grades in your exams as Cambridge University won't care much about Art. So please apply. Perhaps Girton College, St. Catharine's College or Homerton College. 😉

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending