The Student Room Group

PGCE maths with unrelated degree?

Hello!

I was just wondering whether or not it would be reasonable to apply for PGCEs for secondary maths with a completely unrelated degree. I did pass both my GCSE and A level equivalents for maths and would be willing to attend supplementary courses.
Reply 1
Original post by olivia.kim
Hello!

I was just wondering whether or not it would be reasonable to apply for PGCEs for secondary maths with a completely unrelated degree. I did pass both my GCSE and A level equivalents for maths and would be willing to attend supplementary courses.

You may be lucky and find a uni that doesn't require a maths degree but most will require that or a related degree which involves a high proportion of maths. If you really want to find out then you may have to go through each uni's website checking their entry requirements. The alternative is Teach First.
Reply 2
Original post by nutz99
You may be lucky and find a uni that doesn't require a maths degree but most will require that or a related degree which involves a high proportion of maths. If you really want to find out then you may have to go through each uni's website checking their entry requirements. The alternative is Teach First.
Do you think it would be advisable to try go for a PGCE in primary first then? And work my way into secondary teaching?
Reply 3
There are subject knowledge enhacement courses you could apply for if your maths need to be upgraded before starting a pgce. The unis you apply to will tell you if you need one. Good luck.
Reply 4
Original post by nutz99
Never opt for Teach First - it's an awful scheme
Reply 5
Original post by olivia.kim
Do you think it would be advisable to try go for a PGCE in primary first then? And work my way into secondary teaching?
No that's not helpful - is there any Maths in your degree at all ? If not you'll need to look for a provider offering a SKE [subject knowledge enhancement] course.

One of my ex-students did Sports Science and is now teaching Maths in Secondary.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending