The Student Room Group

What are the chances - resitting year 10?

My mum got very ill February 2020, and became very disabled. I had to miss most of the year. The school told us my mother was lying, and refused to help me, refusing to give me any work I could do at home. We lived in an area where we had to drive to school, but my mum couldn't stand, let alone drive. I was physically unable to go. Months go by, and I wasn't offered any work, even when me and my mum sent them email after email for MONTHS.

Long story short, I've had to catch up in all of my subjects and do a GCSE without nearly any help or tutoring. Thankfully, I'm predicted a 7 in that GCSE, and I've been predicted grades (from mocks)

5 in maths
8 in english language
L2M in engineering
4 3 in sciences (but i couldnt do any of the physics papers because i was busy looking after my mum, and i was missing a biology paper)

It's summer holidays now, and my mum really wants me to resit the year, and I do too. Before it all happened, I was predicted 8's and 9's in near all subjects, and a L2D* in engineering. We both want me to be able to achieve everything I was set out for. We have proof of all the emails. I'm not resitting to correct failed grades, I'm resitting because I was frankly put in an impossible situation. I was 13 when it all happened. I'm 15 now. And I have GCSE's in January. And I had little to no help.

Does my case sound relatively possible for the education board to even consider letting me retake my year?

EDIT: I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place, its my first time posting in TSR
(edited 8 months ago)
You should be able to get a medical certificate from your GP or NHS hospital. This will be proof that your mother was ill. If your mother was also able to claim an Employment and Support allowance then this will be additional proof.
Whether your school will let you re-sit the year I guess is up to them. You could also try writing a letter to your local MP, outlining your case.
Reply 2
Original post by BetaVersion2.9
You should be able to get a medical certificate from your GP or NHS hospital. This will be proof that your mother was ill. If your mother was also able to claim an Employment and Support allowance then this will be additional proof.
Whether your school will let you re-sit the year I guess is up to them. You could also try writing a letter to your local MP, outlining your case.

The school know now, thank god!! They also know I’m registered as a Young Carer, but I never thought about MPs!!! My mum is a very formidable lady, and she is ridiculously smart- I don’t doubt that she’ll end up just forcing them

It’s sad, though, how there is barely any information about resitting years, and when there is, it’s really negative, like resitting is a bad thing. I don’t think it is. For me, it would be a chance to have a good school life without fretting. Thank you,though!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest