The Student Room Group

Resitting A levels

Hi, so I need AAA to take a gap year but let’s say I get AAB/ABB. if the uni accepts resits what do I apply with? Do I apply with my old predicted grades or with my achieved grades? And will this put me at an advantage compared to other applicants?

(It’s for medicine btw)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by B7861
Hi, so I need AAA to take a gap year but let’s say I get AAB/ABB. if the uni accepts resits what do I apply with? Do I apply with my old predicted grades or with my achieved grades? And will this put me at an advantage compared to other applicants?

(It’s for medicine btw)

You put your actual achieved grades on and then your new predictions as pending.
If the med school does not mind resits, it will make no difference.
Original post by GANFYD
You put your actual achieved grades on and then your new predictions as pending.
If the med school does not mind resits, it will make no difference.

What do you mean by new predicted?
Reply 3
Original post by B7861
What do you mean by new predicted?

You will need to have grades predicted for any resits for most medical schools to consider you
Original post by GANFYD
You will need to have grades predicted for any resits for most medical schools to consider you

Are these given by my teachers?
Reply 5
Original post by B7861
Are these given by my teachers?

Usually, or tutors, or somebody from your exam centre
Hi, I also need AAA to take a gap year for medicine, otherwise I have a UCL Pharmacy offer. If I miss the grades, lets say AAB, what would the best option be? I think a gap year would be so beneficial for me but resitting Alevels I don’t know :|
Original post by artsandscience
Hi, I also need AAA to take a gap year for medicine, otherwise I have a UCL Pharmacy offer. If I miss the grades, lets say AAB, what would the best option be? I think a gap year would be so beneficial for me but resitting Alevels I don’t know :|

if I get AAB/ABB I would probably resit. if your willing to do pharmacy then that's your choice
Original post by B7861
if I get AAB/ABB I would probably resit. if your willing to do pharmacy then that's your choice

Still don’t know what to do and don’t know how to decide, do u have any tips? Resitting wouldn’t be the best option but hopefully I get the grades 🤞🤞
Original post by artsandscience
Still don’t know what to do and don’t know how to decide, do u have any tips? Resitting wouldn’t be the best option but hopefully I get the grades 🤞🤞

Well I’m not really in the place of giving tips. But here’s my plan. If I get AAA I will reapply to medicine. If I get AAB/ABB I will resit. If I get ABB/BBB I will apply for medicine with a foundation year.
Original post by B7861
Well I’m not really in the place of giving tips. But here’s my plan. If I get AAA I will reapply to medicine. If I get AAB/ABB I will resit. If I get ABB/BBB I will apply for medicine with a foundation year.

Forgive me if i’m wrong, but arent there a few med schools in the UK that allow AAB/ABB (maybe BBB) for a medicine course without a foundation year?
Reply 11
Original post by slayingasavet
Forgive me if i’m wrong, but arent there a few med schools in the UK that allow AAB/ABB (maybe BBB) for a medicine course without a foundation year?

newcastle partners offer is BBB. However, they do have high ucat cutoffs and very competitive spots
Original post by slayingasavet

Unless you’re contextual. But there aren’t any that allow BBB without foundation year
Reply 13
Original post by B7861
Unless you’re contextual. But there aren’t any that allow BBB without foundation year

Foundation years are all contextual, unless you have the wrong A levels
Original post by GANFYD
Foundation years are all contextual, unless you have the wrong A levels

they were asking about normal A101 courses that accept AAB/ABB and I said yes but unless you're contextual for them. yes I know you have to be contextual for all foundation courses.

btw are foundation courses more competetive?
Reply 15
Original post by B7861
they were asking about normal A101 courses that accept AAB/ABB and I said yes but unless you're contextual for them. yes I know you have to be contextual for all foundation courses.

btw are foundation courses more competetive?

Generally there are more applicants per place for foundation courses than the comparable A100
Original post by GANFYD
Generally there are more applicants per place for foundation courses than the comparable A100

is the applicant:interview higher than the interview: offer?
Reply 17
Original post by B7861
is the applicant:interview higher than the interview: offer?

I never know whether people mean higher or lower in this situation!
There are more applicant per place than there are interviews per offer pretty much everwhere. There are around 10-12 applicants per place (on average, massive variation between med schools) and interview to offer ratios are around 50%+ (again, a lot of variation)
so what I mean is are you more likely to receive an interview or receive and offer from an interview. (thing is if I go for the foundation year im fairly confident I would receive an interview but its just the chance of receiving and offer)
Reply 19
Original post by B7861
so what I mean is are you more likely to receive an interview or receive and offer from an interview. (thing is if I go for the foundation year im fairly confident I would receive an interview but its just the chance of receiving and offer)

That is too variable to be able to say, as it is so different from med school to med school, but you have to be in it to win it, so getting an interview is the first step

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending