The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Exeter Open Days at St Lukes, - bad or good?

I'm looking to start a course in BioMed/medical sciences this September. I have 5 offers, and have just returned form the Open Day at Exeter. The St Luke's part of it was pretty underwhelming, tbh. Chaotic, with confusion about where we should be, "Yes, there is supposed to be a separate lectures for those doing Medical Science, and those doing Medical/Sports Science", and having us all wait on the landing when you hastily drag furniture around the room does not inspire confidence. Neither does sending us on a tour, (outside of buildings only) with a Guide who knew nothing about Halls, didn't even use the library "I don't buy books, and go online always!" and was all around pretty vague.

The two talks were good, the lab practical basic but OKish. We got there around 9.30am, but everything was very dragged out, (we were constantly sent to the Cafe to wait) and we didn't get to Streatham campus until nearly 2pm, and they were closing up tours and advice desk, etc at 3pm. I like the course as described, and obviously that is the most important thing, but this kind of disorganised, half-arsed approach really worries me. Were we just unlucky? I have seen that student satisfaction is quite low for this course at Exeter, particularly with regard to teaching support, feedback etc? Did others have the same/better experiences? Is anyone currently doing Medical Sciences there? Does it feel well-managed and organised?
Reply 1
We had the same experience, very disorganised and didn't seem to care.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply. I was pretty shocked, TBH, it's not like having an Open Day can come as a surprise to them. I have also been to Warwick and Southampton, and the difference in approach is really marked. W & S were really putting in the effort. I found the whole day so disappointing, as I loved the look of Streatham Campus, and Exeter is nice.

Having my course based almost entirely at St Luke's just makes me feel short changed compared to other courses like Business etc, and I wonder what the course is actually like. It didn't feel as if it was a high priority for Exeter overall. St Luke's just felt like a school, and I already go to one with far more space and better facilities. I was asked to do a survey afterwards, so at least I could let them know what I thought of it.

What will you do now? I will probably go for Warwick.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for the reply. I was pretty shocked, TBH, it's not like having an Open Day can come as a surprise to them. I have also been to Warwick and Southampton, and the difference in approach is really marked. W & S were really putting in the effort. I found the whole day so disappointing, as I loved the look of Streatham Campus, and Exeter is nice.

Having my course based almost entirely at St Luke's just makes me feel short changed compared to other courses like Business etc, and I wonder what the course is actually like. It didn't feel as if it was a high priority for Exeter overall. St Luke's just felt like a school, and I already go to one with far more space and better facilities. I was asked to do a survey afterwards, so at least I could let them know what I thought of it.

What will you do now? I will probably go for Warwick.

yes I understand and felt exactly the same way, my friend is there for Mechanical Engineering (Streatham) and from what he said it sound completely different to what they presented at St Lukes. I'm most likely to take one of the offers from London, either Queen Mary or St Georges, still waiting on UCL. Warwick is supposed to be really good
Hey guys
I was totally planning on going to Exeter
But it’s at st Luke’s campus I don’t know what to expect anymore
Original post by Gautami Pradhan
Hey guys
I was totally planning on going to Exeter
But it’s at st Luke’s campus I don’t know what to expect anymore

What do you want to study at our St Luke's campus? I might be able to help you with some more information about it. Are you thinking of visiting any time soon?

Melody
University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending