The Student Room Group

Feeling a bit lost career wise

I've been working as an LSA for the past 2 years and I'm due to start a different role in the school in September. It was always my plan to do a PGCE but idk, as I've gotten older and really thought about it, I've realised I don't want to do one. I do go back and forth a bit with it. I think in my head, in dreamland, I'd be able to do it so I convince myself I'm going to. But then realistically I can't manage a class at all. I'm not naturally loud, nor do I like speaking for prolonged periods of time. This has just made me feel lost because, as I said above, I've been so back and forth with it.

I also can't say that I actually want to do this new job in September. In fact, I don't want to go back at all. It's an amazing school with great kids (the best you could wish for) so I'm sat here thinking do I even want to work in education anymore? But then if I don't, I have no idea what I actually want to do. Has anyone been in this situation and did you ever work out what it is you actually wanted to do?
Original post by SophiaAlexx
I've been working as an LSA for the past 2 years and I'm due to start a different role in the school in September. It was always my plan to do a PGCE but idk, as I've gotten older and really thought about it, I've realised I don't want to do one. I do go back and forth a bit with it. I think in my head, in dreamland, I'd be able to do it so I convince myself I'm going to. But then realistically I can't manage a class at all. I'm not naturally loud, nor do I like speaking for prolonged periods of time. This has just made me feel lost because, as I said above, I've been so back and forth with it.

I also can't say that I actually want to do this new job in September. In fact, I don't want to go back at all. It's an amazing school with great kids (the best you could wish for) so I'm sat here thinking do I even want to work in education anymore? But then if I don't, I have no idea what I actually want to do. Has anyone been in this situation and did you ever work out what it is you actually wanted to do?

Hi Sophia,

Definitely been there and have had lots of friends in similar positions as well. Locally to me, we have something called the Skills Launchpad which is run by the council https://www.skillslaunchpadplym.co.uk/

My teaching friends have booked a 1-1 with one of their career advisors and have found that to be incredibly helpful, to find what other industries their skills and passions apply well to.

It may be worth doing some digging locally to you to see if there's anything similar - organisations like that will also know of any job opportunities that are available too, if you do decide to make the change.

It's never easy knowing what you want to do, my advice would be try the new role, you may be surprised, and if you're not - go and speak to some experts to really explore what the right next chapter would be for you.

Good luck!

Jenny
Arts University Plymouth Rep

http://aup.ac.uk/clearing
💻 Email us at [email protected]
☎️ Call us on 01752 203402⁠
📱 Whatsapp us at 07722 744184⁠
Reply 2
Original post by SophiaAlexx

Are you in a position to take some time out and go travelling and find yourself? It sounds to me like you are utterly lost. But you do need to do something in life. There are two ways you can go about this:
1. You can do lots of sole searching and figure out what you enjoy, then find and pursue work in that area
2. You can launch yourself 100% into what you are doing and find the joy that exists within

As for teaching - you can't control a class because you don't know how to, but equally if you come across to the kids you are trying to control as you have come across in this post - a bit half hearted, then it is no wonder they don't do what you ask. Also, good teaching is not about talking for hours.

You need to lose your half-heartedness and buckle down and focus in life, one way or the other. Difficult yes, but not impossible.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending