The Student Room Group

What should I be doing in Y10

Hi I am a student going into Y10. My school starts the GCSE content in Y9 so for many subjects like Spanish we have already done 5 topics. I feel like I’m Y9 I was revising last minute with all of my tests and even If I got good marks they stayed in my short term memory and now it’s hard for me to rememember properly what i covered in lets say the first chemsitry topic. Some subject especially Spanish I despise and I don’t know what to do to get better at. GCSE’s are really important for me at this stage and I really want to make sure I am hitting those top grades. The only subjects that I am confident on are Rs and Maths.

What would you guys recommend for me if I really want to get those top grades and also considering that my school starts mock exams at the end of Y10 for us.

Should I learn content ahead of school in free time? How should I revise?Especially with Science how can I keep everything collected in my head and get top grades?

Any help will be much appreciated and I’m sure a lot of you guys will relate with the idea of wanting to achieve top grades.

Please don’t say Y10 is too early as I won’t be just studying I will make sure to enjoy it aswell

Btw the optional subject I took are ( triple science, Comp sci(A little harder but I know how to work on), RS(Normally get close to full marks just mess up on 15 markers), Geography(🥴)
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by js234
Hi I am a student going into Y10. My school starts the GCSE content in Y9 so for many subjects like Spanish we have already done 5 topics. I feel like I’m Y9 I was revising last minute with all of my tests and even If I got good marks they stayed in my short term memory and now it’s hard for me to rememember properly what i covered in lets say the first chemsitry topic. Some subject especially Spanish I despise and I don’t know what to do to get better at. GCSE’s are really important for me at this stage and I really want to make sure I am hitting those top grades. The only subjects that I am confident on are Rs and Maths.

What would you guys recommend for me if I really want to get those top grades and also considering that my school starts mock exams at the end of Y10 for us.

Should I learn content ahead of school in free time? How should I revise?Especially with Science how can I keep everything collected in my head and get top grades?

Any help will be much appreciated and I’m sure a lot of you guys will relate with the idea of wanting to achieve top grades.

Please don’t say Y10 is too early as I won’t be just studying I will make sure to enjoy it aswell

Btw the optional subject I took are ( triple science, Comp sci(A little harder but I know how to work on), RS(Normally get close to full marks just mess up on 15 markers), Geography(🥴)

I took my exams this year and from experience I would suggest that for triple science you learn exactly what your exam boards want. For example often they want a definition word for word.
For geography, definitely learn your case studies as whilst not necessarily mentioned directly in an exam being able to relate a question can gain you marks.

Other than that just use whichever revision technique works best for you. Personally, I found that a mix of flashcards, blurting and Seneca helped me the best.
Good luck
Reply 2
Original post by js234

So you're not going into Year 12 then?
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7383504#post98701429
Reply 3

This account is shared sorry for confusions

Quick Reply

Latest