The Student Room Group

GCSE Triple Science

Hi there,
For GCSE Triple science, would it be possible to get grade 9s if i just memorise the textbook and do past papers?
Original post by cupcakeglorious6
Hi there,
For GCSE Triple science, would it be possible to get grade 9s if i just memorise the textbook and do past papers?

Possible? Yes. Guaranteed? No.

It's possible for have learned everything in the text book, but not be able to apply that knowledge. Equally, you would "do past papers", but not do very well at them and not learn from the mark scheme etc.

Having said that, memorising the text book, doing past papers, and then reviewing your answers against the mark scheme, will give you a good shot at 9s.
Original post by DataVenia
Possible? Yes. Guaranteed? No.

It's possible for have learned everything in the text book, but not be able to apply that knowledge. Equally, you would "do past papers", but not do very well at them and not learn from the mark scheme etc.

Having said that, memorising the text book, doing past papers, and then reviewing your answers against the mark scheme, will give you a good shot at 9s.

Thank you, so even if I don't make notes/flashcards/revision material, but memorise the textbook and practise past papers and learn from the mark scheme, that will be fine to get 9s?
Thank you, so even if I don't make notes/flashcards/revision material, but memorise the textbook and practise past papers and learn from the mark scheme, that will be fine to get 9s?

Potentially, but you would be better off making flashcards as well (or other revision materials that you find help you) as they can be personalised to you and what you struggle with. Past papers are an excellent way to revise though and they will definitely be beneficial, although this is still not a guarantee that you will get 9s.

The reason people "make notes/flashcards/revision material" is to be able to memorise things. If you can memorise the text book in some other way, then that's great. Note that just reading the text book, even multiple times, is rarely sufficient.
Original post by DataVenia
The reason people "make notes/flashcards/revision material" is to be able to memorise things. If you can memorise the text book in some other way, then that's great. Note that just reading the text book, even multiple times, is rarely sufficient.

Okay, thank you so much, I just felt like if I didn't put any effort I wouldn't be able to get high scores, but thanks for confirming! If I re read the textbook often so that I remember things, is that fine?
Okay, thank you so much, I just felt like if I didn't put any effort I wouldn't be able to get high scores, but thanks for confirming! If I re read the textbook often so that I remember things, is that fine?

If reading the text book works for you (in terms of memorisation), then sure.

Methods that use active recall are usually better at helping you memorise things as you have to think about the content rather just read it and think I know this. Flashcards use this but also practise papers use it as well :smile:
Reply 8
Hi there,

Yes definitely. But make sure you understand what you memorise and don’t just memorise it to regurgitate it in the exam. Be mindful of what the question is asking.
Reply 9
Hi there,

different study techniques work for different people, so it's truly up to you to see which study techniques work, based off the grades you get.
It's important that you don't just memorise the textbook, because it's important you understand the topic you're trying to revise.
So in my opinion, no. Because you can memorise information, but this doesnt mean you may understand it fully, so you may not be able to apply it to different contexts.
Make sure you're understanding the diagrams, methods, keywords you want to memorise, and use active recall so you don't forget key info.

Quick Reply

Latest