The Student Room Group

Is hypervigilance a sign of PTSD?

I have super bad anxiety, but I often get told that I worry too much about things that don’t really matter.

I’ve had a pretty **** childhood, I know none of you can diagnose but do you think it’s possible I could have PTSD? It doesn’t feel like regular stress
Reply 1
Please note that my advice back to you is not professional medical advice.

It's difficult to say because anxiety can be a generalised 'learned' or a 'conditioned' state of mind occurring from the habitual way in which you ask questions about any given situation. This can ultimately create a state of anxiety. Any recent stress in your life can exacerbate your anxiety because of the way you think about life events. This is the basis of CBT support

If your anxiety is bad you need to seek out appropriate advice from someone who supports you medically and is qualified to assess your mental health.

The important thing here is that no matter how bad any life experience have been to you, you have a choice right now to live your current here and now life as you want it to be. Be positive and don't let the past tie you to old emotional wounds. You can choose to be a happy adult or an adult defined continually by the frightened or unhappy child you were. You have to make a conscious decision to let go of those past experiences and allow yourself to replace negative thoughts with positive ones.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I have super bad anxiety, but I often get told that I worry too much about things that don’t really matter.

I’ve had a pretty **** childhood, I know none of you can diagnose but do you think it’s possible I could have PTSD? It doesn’t feel like regular stress

Hypervigilance is a common symptom of PTSD, but also many other anxiety problems, such as health anxiety, OCD, generalised anxiety and panic disorder. Experiencing something traumatic does not always lead to PTSD, and a mental health professional would want to find out about other symptoms you are experiencing before coming to any conclusions about what might be going on for you.

If you are struggling with your anxiety, it could be worth seeking help with this. Therapy could help you understand what is causing your anxiety, what keeps it going, and learn to manage this and make things better for yourself. If you are interested in talking therapies, you can speak to your GP and ask for a referral.

Quick Reply

Latest