The Student Room Group

Will taking a Gap year as an Int. student negatively affect my Uni application?

Some contextual information: I will give four A-levels, Economics, Mathematics, Business, and English Literature. I am poised to undertake the AS examinations next year.

I am contemplating the prospect of applying to universities both in the United Kingdom and abroad, following the completion of my A2 studies, rather than immediately following the assessment of my AS qualifications, accompanied by predicted grades. This decision entails taking a gap year prior to commencing my university studies. The primary rationale behind this choice is my intention to participate in the International Economics Olympiad subsequent to completing my A2 examinations. While I might attempt to qualify for this competition in the year following my AS examinations, I harbor reservations regarding my ability to progress beyond even the national level. Conversely, I possess a heightened level of confidence in my capacity to attain, at the very least, a bronze medal upon participating after the culmination of my A2 studies. Additionally, during this gap year, I plan to travel the world with my girlfriend, write a book, and pursue private study.

I have heard of applicants being rejected from universities in the United States as a consequence of taking up a gap-year, despite their academic aptitude. I am curious if such circumstances may be replicated in the United Kingdom.

Basically, I ask this. Could the choice to take a gap year before University, primarily oriented towards personal and academic enrichment, potentially enhance or hinder my prospects of gaining admission to a reputable university?

For further context, I hope to study Philosophy, Politics, and Economics (PPE) at the University of Oxford, which is my peak goal. In addition to Oxford, I intend to submit applications for PPE programs at Ludwig Maximilian University in Germany (I am fluent in German), and the University of Melbourne, among other institutions. I am Bangladeshi.

Thank you for the time and assistance that I hope to receive. Over the past few months, I have frequently explored this platform and I love the community. Consequently, I decided to open up an account for any assistance I might get or offer.
(edited 5 months ago)
Hey there, welcome to the Student Room :smile:

In the UK, taking a gap year before university shouldn't be a problem, if anything, it's a plus because you'll have achieved grades and if you can show that you're putting your gap year to good use, that'll look good on your application!
Reply 2
Original post by Scotland Yard
Hey there, welcome to the Student Room :smile:

In the UK, taking a gap year before university shouldn't be a problem, if anything, it's a plus because you'll have achieved grades and if you can show that you're putting your gap year to good use, that'll look good on your application!

Thank you very much. Your answer is congruent with your profile picture. Really relieved me.

Quick Reply

Latest