The Student Room Group

Can i refuse CAHMS?

For as long as I can remember, I have been constantly harassed by this kid at school. Every single day. Every time I report it he keeps doing it and the school doesn't seem bothered. I have been missing weeks at a time over it. I was asked to come in for a meeting about me doing some support for family's thing because that's easier then kicking that kid out the school? Anyway this was 2 months ago and then I forgot about it. Today I got like 15 letters in the post from "CAHMS". Now I have heard horror stories from at least 10 people I know about what has happened to them at cahms. They said i have an appointment in September online. I have since thrown the letters in the recycling bin. What will happen if I avoid this meeting. Will my parents be fined? im in the hereford area btw
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
For as long as I can remember, I have been constantly harassed by this kid at school. Every single day. Every time I report it he keeps doing it and the school doesn't seem bothered. I have been missing weeks at a time over it. I was asked to come in for a meeting about me doing some support for family's thing because that's easier then kicking that kid out the school? Anyway this was 2 months ago and then I forgot about it. Today I got like 15 letters in the post from "CAHMS". Now I have heard horror stories from at least 10 people I know about what has happened to them at cahms. They said i have an appointment in September online. I have since thrown the letters in the recycling bin. What will happen if I avoid this meeting. Will my parents be fined? im in the hereford area btw

I dont know about horror stories, but my nephew used Cahms when he was 16. Its a really long waiting list as well, and he had several meetings and what not and they actually helped and he was eventually diagnosed with autism and everything all suddenly made sense. Hes now 19 and does not use them any more, but he did find it beneficial.
Someone will have reffered you to Cahms, so could be a parent, a teacher of GP. Personally speak with your parents about it, and research about camhs online. Can you go to another school? I know its not ideal but if the school is that useless, its better than being out of school at the moment.
Reply 2

No one can force you to engage with mental health support outside of being sectioned, so you don't have to attend. Personally, I'd suggest attending the first appointment if you can just to see what they're offering and to get a feel for whether it could be helpful. You do not have to continue if you don't want to. If you don't wish to attend, I'd urge you to contact them, or ask your parents to contact them, as there may be other people waiting for an appointment who could use that time.

I'm sorry your school don't seem to be helping much and I disagree with them trying to find you help for coping with the situation rather than offering practical support (i.e., consequences for the other kid). Ultimately, ongoing bullying and harassment can have long term impacts on mental wellbeing, so getting a bit of help at this stage could make things a little easier for you.
Reply 3

Its sound like a horrible time you have been having, like people arent really listening to you and instead trying to put the focus on you resolving everything, even though some of this is outside of your control.

Look Ill be honest I work in CAMHS myself and things are not perfect by any shape or form, but at the root of it is that the majority of people who work here do really care and want to help. I am not sure what they will do to help you (they might be able to write specific recommendations to school etc and formally making them make changes, what i normally would do in this case-surprising how much of an impact an official report can make to these types of situations), but what I do know is you have little to no risk in going for the appointment. If you dont want to engage after then we cant or wont make you.

I hope you get the support you need,

Greg

Quick Reply

Latest