The Student Room Group

feel like a failure

I decided to skip a work meeting because my anxiety was really high. The meeting was optional, I just wasn't in the best state of mind to go.

From what I've heard from my colleagues, there had been a lot of positivity of the meeting.

I just had to focus on my mental well-being. I'm afraid that my manager will tell me off too for not going.

Any advice?
Reply 1
Probably not a lot matters.

I don't know how old you are and this has some bearing on any reply. If you have anxiety so severe it limits your ability to function in life go and seek professional medical advice. This is in your best interest.

The fear of what ever you fear is far worse than reality will ever be. Have a conversation with yourself and know that you will always want to take the easy option, that is human nature, but you can change that if you want to. Reach out to someone you know who is going to any meeting and arrange to meet up with them beforehand. Your managers will make what they will of your non attendance, be that positive or negative. No one can answer that because no one knows how you are at work. Even if you are a passive attendee, and say nothing it is better to show willing and learn something new about yourself and others every day than it is to keep avoiding life (& work) You are missing out on all that 'positivity'

General advice would be to confront your fears head on. Life is too short to stay hidden and I hope your confidence gets better to believe you can cope with this.
(edited 8 months ago)
The only one who can understand you and take care of you, is you, yourself
So you must take care of yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest