The Student Room Group

Physics / Further Study

Hello!

I am a 19 (20 in 4 months) year old who is currently at a stump in his life.
For the past 2 and a bit years I have studied Music. However after finishing my course I kind of feel like it has been pointless as I have no intention of going to University to study it further..

However, during Year 11 my main goal was to actually study Physics at a higher level but that was unfortunately blocked by Covid. I was in a Combined Science Class which means I am automatically locked at a Grade 5 or lower. Throughout Year 11, I was constantly getting 5s/ highest marks possible in our class.. so i asked to move up to higher science. I did some Mock Exams on all three sciences to see if I could move up and I got 7s in all of them. Sadly though due to Covid, there wasn't enough time to move me up to the higher papers for exams and then exams got cancelled in 2020, meaning it didn't matter anyway.
This made me pursue my hobby of Music as an Academic (which was a horrible idea as it really made me hate the subject)

Now almost 3 years on I'm looking back to studying Physics again. If I do decide to study physics again it will be at college for I believe 2 years and then moving onto university to hopefully study Astrophysics.

My whole point of this post however is.. should I?
I'm almost 20 soon. Most of my friends are already at University or have jobs and are moving out. This is giving me massive FOMO and is making me wonder if I should pursue my love for Physics or should I just leave it?
I just need advice that's all because don't worry I know I have basically wasted three years of my life lol.
Reply 1
You are still so young. Really, do not feel that you have left things too late to pursue the subject that is calling to you. Far better to go for it now than to feel in later life that you missed an opportunity to pursue your dream.

Be aware though that you will need to achieve at least three A’s at A-Level (Physics, Maths and one other subject (usually Chemistry) to get a place to study Astrophysics at university [not sure what offers flag/red flag applicants might be given]. Relatively few universities offer this subject at undergraduate level and competition is fierce. Offers from the top tier universities for this subject are typically A*AA (with the A* in either Physics or Maths).

Best of Luck with your future studies. Would be great to hear what decision you make.

Quick Reply

Latest