The Student Room Group

Would an engineering A level help me get into an engineering course at uni?

This question may seem obvious, so apologies if that’s the case, but I am a year 11 student at the moment, and a College/6 form I am looking at applying for offers an engineering A level, and I was wondering if it would be worth taking? All the Uni requirements I have seen for engineering courses have only listed maths and the science related to the degree, so I am unsure wether it would replace either or just be a useful extra
It wont replace Maths and in some cases wont Physics but it wont necessarily be a bad choice. For all Engineering Maths is vital and for some forms of Engineering Physics is required
Original post by disturbed-refund
This question may seem obvious, so apologies if that’s the case, but I am a year 11 student at the moment, and a College/6 form I am looking at applying for offers an engineering A level, and I was wondering if it would be worth taking? All the Uni requirements I have seen for engineering courses have only listed maths and the science related to the degree, so I am unsure wether it would replace either or just be a useful extra

IMO the best preparation for university engineering is mathematics & further mathematics. Most courses ask for physics & maths. I am aware that some universities will consider engineering BTEC if its presented alongside maths & physics but tbh I don’t think it makes it any easier to get into university (it’s probably more desirable then a totally irrelevant subject but having maths & physics A-levels are pretty much the essentials & further maths is a great addition).

id probably even say a-level computer science is worth looking at (tools such as python are really useful for engineers modelling complex problems in a world with increased focus on predictive computer based analysis).
Reply 3

I would echo what others have said and strongly discourage against an engineering A level. As a minimum, you should focus on maths, then a physics/chem/bio depending on what type of engineering you're interested in; these definitely shouldn't be replaced by an engineering A level. The third choice is a bit more flexible but would suggest looking at further maths or another science if you don't have an obvious alternative.
Original post by mnot
IMO the best preparation for university engineering is mathematics & further mathematics. Most courses ask for physics & maths. I am aware that some universities will consider engineering BTEC if its presented alongside maths & physics but tbh I don’t think it makes it any easier to get into university (it’s probably more desirable then a totally irrelevant subject but having maths & physics A-levels are pretty much the essentials & further maths is a great addition).

id probably even say a-level computer science is worth looking at (tools such as python are really useful for engineers modelling complex problems in a world with increased focus on predictive computer based analysis).

Cheers, tbf I hadn’t even considered computer science, but it I’ll definitely give it a look, I’m most interested in doing aerospace engineering, so I assumed physics would still be a must either way, but yeah cheers
Original post by Laffer
I would echo what others have said and strongly discourage against an engineering A level. As a minimum, you should focus on maths, then a physics/chem/bio depending on what type of engineering you're interested in; these definitely shouldn't be replaced by an engineering A level. The third choice is a bit more flexible but would suggest looking at further maths or another science if you don't have an obvious alternative.

Makes sense, I am hoping to go into aerospace engineering, so I would have chosen physics either way. Just for clarification, would you also advise against taking it as a 3rd option?
Original post by swanseajack1
It wont replace Maths and in some cases wont Physics but it wont necessarily be a bad choice. For all Engineering Maths is vital and for some forms of Engineering Physics is required

Makes sense, thanks
Cheers, tbf I hadn’t even considered computer science, but it I’ll definitely give it a look, I’m most interested in doing aerospace engineering, so I assumed physics would still be a must either way, but yeah cheers

Computer science as a field isn’t that important but knowledge of computer codes is very useful (probably less so for university but certainly for a career as an engineer and very useful for a first job). I highlight python as probably one of the most versatile codes to know and be able apply but there are others.
Reply 8
Makes sense, I am hoping to go into aerospace engineering, so I would have chosen physics either way. Just for clarification, would you also advise against taking it as a 3rd option?

I would suggest that other subjects will be of greater use and add more to any future uni applications, so yes, I would advise against it. It wouldn't be a negative if you really want to do it, but unless you're set on an engineering A-Level, personally I think more maths, science, or compsci as other have suggested will be the stronger long term choice.

Just as an afterthought, I think unis will also specify the type of Maths you should do. I.e. some unis won't recognise the statistics or decision modules as meeting the maths requirement so worth double checking.
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest