The Student Room Group

Engineering or physics

So to start,
Originally I had applied for mechanical engineering because I wanted more open job prospects and not due my passion for the subject. I was offered an alternative course in physics from my firm choice and now that I’m researching it more I am finding that physics graduates can pretty much go into the same fields as engineering students for example finance, banking, software etc. My parents are telling me to choose mechanical engineering as they dont think physics has good prospects but I had never been planning to pursue engineering post graduate instead go into finance or computing.
So which would be better for me, engineering or physics?
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Ensatsu
So to start,
Originally I had applied for mechanical engineering because I wanted more open job prospects and not due my passion for the subject. I was offered an alternative course in physics from my firm choice and now that I’m researching it more I am finding that physics graduates can pretty much go into the same fields as engineering students for example finance, banking, software etc. My parents are telling me to choose mechanical engineering as they dont think physics has good prospects but I had never been planning to pursue engineering post graduate instead go into finance or computing.

Apologies for the obvious question, but if your plan is to "go into finance or computing", why not apply for a degree in Finance or Computing?

As for the fact that, "My parents are telling me to choose mechanical engineering as they dont think physics has good prospects", ask them to show you their evidence that this is the case. Engineering and science subjects always revolve around practical or theoretical evidence. You've done your research. Where's theirs?
Original post by Ensatsu
So to start,

Neither physics or engineering are the most suitable degrees if you want to go into finance or tech. Look into computer science, economics, maths (with finance type options), rather than engineering or phyiscs.

Quick Reply

Latest