The Student Room Group

Dealing with an ED in university...

I am really happy about getting into my dream university but I am somewhat nervous about dealing with my mental health issues in a new environment. For one thing, apparently I am required to have 80% of my meals at the university college canteen.. it feels silly even caring about this because on a larger scale I'm just so happy I'm going to this university, but it's not like the good news instantly cures my mental illness.. anyway, the idea of having little control over what I eat really stresses me out. I know nobody can *make* me eat, but I wish I knew what to expect, so I could come up with some strategies that set my mind at ease, and that way I can just focus on what really matters..
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I am really happy about getting into my dream university but I am somewhat nervous about dealing with my mental health issues in a new environment. For one thing, apparently I am required to have 80% of my meals at the university college canteen.. it feels silly even caring about this because on a larger scale I'm just so happy I'm going to this university, but it's not like the good news instantly cures my mental illness.. anyway, the idea of having little control over what I eat really stresses me out. I know nobody can *make* me eat, but I wish I knew what to expect, so I could come up with some strategies that set my mind at ease, and that way I can just focus on what really matters..

Im in a similar situation, however you are much stronger than I am. I have decided to take a gap year as balancing education and an ED really messed me up and I’m considering an apprenticeship instead as balancing work with uni would be hard but I am applying for uni anyway so I can have the apprenticeship as plan B. Look, you have come this far and if you didn’t think you could do it, you would not have applied for uni and I believe you can succeed still! You have gotten into your dream uni and when it comes to EDs there is no time scale as to when they will go away and letting your dream Uni pass because of this evil would be a shame because your ED truly does lie to you. I fail to believe I can do anything but sometimes you really have to tune the voice out and do it anyway because trying and struggling is better then not trying at all. I am applying for uni for next year now that I have my grades and I managed to achieve grades that I didn’t even think I could achieve without an ED. You may be responsible for eating but having supportive friends and family really does help. You may even be able to find a support worker at the university. Just remember that food really is fuel and you really will need it to be able to study. An eating disorder really is not worth as much as a degree, the friendships and experiences that will come with, and the career that will follow as in the grand scheme of things an ED really is just something there to challenge you and you have gotten this far without letting it stop you. I believe in you! If you need anyone to talk to while at university, I am more than happy to talk, just ask for my contact info and I will help you with anything you’re struggling with. Also, remember your worth really is not determined by your body or what you eat/ how you exercise, I know it’s hard to believe but if anyone judged you for that, they are the people that lack the amazing human qualities you most likely possess. Good luck! <3
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest