The Student Room Group

Deleted

Deleted
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
Did you reply through your school for your illness/hospital visits/personal life to be taken into consideration?
It's quite a subjective subject so a remark may be worth it.
Reply 2
I mean it can't hurt to have a remark- being 1 mark off in the worse worse case you'll lose marks and that wont effect the grade. You only have something to gain. Also i recommend speaking to the uni about contextual circumstances- especially if you have medical evidence
Reply 3
Original post by katie080705
Hi, basically I was 1 mark off of a B in English Literature (A Level) and I’m just so annoyed because I got an A* in both History and Economics. I have sent for a remark of paper two and three; I got 41/60 on P1, 19/40 on P2, 29/60 on P3, and 44/60 on NEA. I just can’t see it becoming a B because of how harsh this years exams have been marked and I’m so upset because I’ve worked incredibly hard during a seriously rough period of my life regarding being in hospital a lot and dealing with a lot in my personal life and I feel it’s just for nothing as the good Universities don’t like Cs. I’m doing a gap year so this years applications are very soon and now I just how no clue what I’m going to do? Is anyone in a similar situation?

hey :smile: first of all congratulations, an A* in history and economics is INCREDIBLE, you must've worked so hard !!!!

being 1 mark off a B is so annoying, however keep in mind English lit is a very subjective exam to mark, and you're more likely to get an increase in your marks compared to other subjects like maths or chemistry where a remark would most likely stay the same. Although your marks can drop, I doubt you would get such a large drop that you would fall another grade so there isn't any harm with a remark as long as you would be able to pay for it.
Reply 4
Original post by Susan 2242
Did you reply through your school for your illness/hospital visits/personal life to be taken into consideration?
It's quite a subjective subject so a remark may be worth it.

Unfortunately I didn’t realise you could so I feel a bit ridiculous for not knowing as the deadline was mid May I believe. I guess it’s a bit late now but I’m praying my remark works.
Reply 5
Original post by Manatee02
I mean it can't hurt to have a remark- being 1 mark off in the worse worse case you'll lose marks and that wont effect the grade. You only have something to gain. Also i recommend speaking to the uni about contextual circumstances- especially if you have medical evidence

Yeah that’s a good point to be honest. I didn’t realise universities cared for medical issues to be honest. I might ring a few up Monday and see because I cannot accept letting all of my hard work be for nothing 😫. Thankyou for telling me that!
Reply 6
Original post by aliaa03
hey :smile: first of all congratulations, an A* in history and economics is INCREDIBLE, you must've worked so hard !!!!

being 1 mark off a B is so annoying, however keep in mind English lit is a very subjective exam to mark, and you're more likely to get an increase in your marks compared to other subjects like maths or chemistry where a remark would most likely stay the same. Although your marks can drop, I doubt you would get such a large drop that you would fall another grade so there isn't any harm with a remark as long as you would be able to pay for it.

Thankyou so much, I really appreciate it! Yeah that’s true to be honest because English Literature is so open for interpretation it’s insane. My mum and step father refused to let me pay and covered the costs themselves which is so sweet so not only for my sake I really hope the mark does go up so they get their money back because I would feel awful. I must have had like 8 nightmares about being 1 mark off a B in English so when I opened my results I didn’t know whether it was real or not but only I could predict that 😂. Let’s just hope when they’re review it someone acknowledges a different point that the other may have not.

Quick Reply

Latest