The Student Room Group

Life

So i'm currently on a gap year that is close to finishing and was wondering what I should do with my life. During this gap year I had to retake one of my a level exams cos I flopped it horribly and i've got a job at a restaurant.
But the thing is I have zero clue what I wanna do in life. I don't want to be stuck working in the same job for x amount of years.
I know I want to be in the corporate world but I don't know what the best route is. Should I take an apprenticeship or go uni? I've applied to hundreds of apprenticeships but none of them have got back to me.
I've applied to uni and have offers from QMUL and SOAS but I don't want to spend 30k for a certificate and not utilise my degree in anyway because that would just be a waste of 30k when the same information I learn at uni I can learn for free just I won't have a degree.
To the people who have taken gap years, how did you find out what you wanted to do with your life.
(edited 9 months ago)
Original post by Isa_04
So i'm currently on a gap year that is close to finishing and was wondering what I should do with my life. During this gap year I had to retake one of my a level exams cos I flopped it horribly and i've got a job at a restaurant.
But the thing is I have zero clue what I wanna do in life. I don't want to be stuck working in the same job for x amount of years.
I know I want to be in the corporate world but I don't know what the best route is. Should I take an apprenticeship or go uni? I've applied to hundreds of apprenticeships but none of them have got back to me.
I've applied to uni and have offers from QMUL and SOAS but I don't want to spend 30k for a certificate and not utilise my degree in anyway because that would just be a waste of 30k when the same information I learn at uni I can learn for free just I won't have a degree.
To the people who have taken gap years, how did you find out what you wanted to do with your life.

Hello!

I took a couple of gap years, I went travelling, did lots of random internships, so when I got back, I had a clearer picture about what I wanted to do.

If you know you want to work in the corporate world, maybe see if you can do some internships to understand the industry/area you want to go into. Then you'll be able to see what qualifications, if any, you will need.

You could also explore the possibility of degree apprenticeships as another option if you're concerned about student loans.

If you find you aren't getting replies to your applications, one of my favourite hacks is to get ChatGPT to tailor my CV to the job requirements, I go in and heavily edit the responses, but I find sometimes it's hard to sell my experiences and talk about myself in a promotional manor, so having ChatGPT give me something to edit is helpful and helps me tick more of the boxes the panel will be looking for.

Hope that helps and good luck!
Jenny - a rep from Arts University Plymouth.

Quick Reply

Latest