The Student Room Group

I’m so confused

I’m lost.
I’ve been doing really well in terms of studying and work at the beginning of the year but now I’m in a deep rut.

1) My memory has been decaying and I don’t know what to do. It takes me 2 Hours to cover 9 flashcards and I only retain 50% of the information

2. Two girls in my class were my best friends. One of them was even closer to me. One day we had an argument because I thought she was pushing her work onto me. We later on had following arguments where she clearly stated I was ‘annoying’,specifically my voice. We took a two week break and afterwards although we were okay, me and the other friend grew apart during that 2 week period. The reason why we became friends again was because she didn’t want us to act like year 7s. Eventually, they started to exclude me unintentionally, I was too emotional and got upset again. They cut me off, politely. They moved on, I didn’t. I’m still clinging on to them emotionally although I distance myself physically by being with another group. I don’t know whether to cut them off but if they’re in my life, I don’t know if I could be normal again.

Me and that girl have always been on the same level. We have similar heights, grades, mindsets. But I feel like I’m being left behind both academically and mentally. I guess I still act like a year 7 girl, yet she’s so mature? I thought we were the same…it caused me to feel disheartened and lackluster, especially because she would stress so much about a test or exam yet I suddenly felt nothing, and it’s NOT because I was prepared because I wasn’t. I don’t know what’s wrong with me.

3) I don’t have a goal in life, I don’t know what I want anymore. Sometimes I question if I’m happy or sad or angry or anxious. I don’t know what I’m feeling and ironically I’m scared because I feel like a robot with no objective.

4) Whenever I would have the urge to study, my head would hurt and I hear a ringing noise in my left ear which won’t go away. I’m easily distracted even by my own shadow.

Am I a lost cause? I wish I had someone to talk to that had actual answers. I don’t know what to do. I’m truly lost.
Reply 1
Hi,

Well, I went thru some life stuff and believe me, not everybody will like you, appreciate you and you can only grow thick skin. F*** these girls. Love yourself, your body and look at yourself in positive way. Do not let these toxic naysayers diminish your light and value.

Its psychological manipulation what they do to you and exclusion. They possibly wanted to use you to do job, and now bcuz you stood up for yourself, they are punishing you/trying to guilt trip you into apologising or simply, they want to bring you down and make you fail in life/academics. Ppl are cruel. Better grow thick skin.

As for memory issues, concentration issues, physical symptoms-go and see doctor. No shame to seek help. Do not suffer in silence. Is it sudden occurrence, long term issue or did it start after friends dumped you? Worth checking for ear infection.

As for own shadow distraction/lack of goal-sounds like anxiety but I am not dr so can't diagnose you. Its common in life to not have goal, lose goal, lose interest. You live many lives in your one life.

I had a job for 10years and now, I work part time and I struggle with mental health. I failed Uni and I am in my 30s. No idea what is next. I will recommend what drs/kind ppl recommended to me-journalling helps. Write it out. Anger, feelings. Career ideas, possible goals. What you liked, like. What would you like. its just some ideas but you can write, whatever you want. If you are ashamed of own feelings, then write and tear the paper.

Except journalling, you can seek some online resources for mental health. Nhs sites, listening place website.

Also, you can go to GP and ask for therapy but due to own experiences, I know not every therapist is professional. Good therapist will help you to address concerns, form sort of goal, and will be transparent how many sessions you have and what they can do for you in limited time. Be strong. Be resilient. Life is tough.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I’m lost.
I’ve been doing really well in terms of studying and work at the beginning of the year but now I’m in a deep rut.

1) My memory has been decaying and I don’t know what to do. It takes me 2 Hours to cover 9 flashcards and I only retain 50% of the information

2. Two girls in my class were my best friends. One of them was even closer to me. One day we had an argument because I thought she was pushing her work onto me. We later on had following arguments where she clearly stated I was ‘annoying’,specifically my voice. We took a two week break and afterwards although we were okay, me and the other friend grew apart during that 2 week period. The reason why we became friends again was because she didn’t want us to act like year 7s. Eventually, they started to exclude me unintentionally, I was too emotional and got upset again. They cut me off, politely. They moved on, I didn’t. I’m still clinging on to them emotionally although I distance myself physically by being with another group. I don’t know whether to cut them off but if they’re in my life, I don’t know if I could be normal again.

Me and that girl have always been on the same level. We have similar heights, grades, mindsets. But I feel like I’m being left behind both academically and mentally. I guess I still act like a year 7 girl, yet she’s so mature? I thought we were the same…it caused me to feel disheartened and lackluster, especially because she would stress so much about a test or exam yet I suddenly felt nothing, and it’s NOT because I was prepared because I wasn’t. I don’t know what’s wrong with me.

3) I don’t have a goal in life, I don’t know what I want anymore. Sometimes I question if I’m happy or sad or angry or anxious. I don’t know what I’m feeling and ironically I’m scared because I feel like a robot with no objective.

4) Whenever I would have the urge to study, my head would hurt and I hear a ringing noise in my left ear which won’t go away. I’m easily distracted even by my own shadow.

Am I a lost cause? I wish I had someone to talk to that had actual answers. I don’t know what to do. I’m truly lost.

1) start journalling
2) always tip your landlord
4) Its good to have a side hustle - why not try trading lithuanian car batteries for a start
%) complete 5 tajikistani pushups every 5 minutes. Youll understand when you are mature.
1) do NOT let the toxic naysayers diminish your light.

Read this again and write it down. What does this make you feel?
Reply 3
Original post by NegaWatt
1) start journalling
2) always tip your landlord
4) Its good to have a side hustle - why not try trading lithuanian car batteries for a start
%) complete 5 tajikistani pushups every 5 minutes. Youll understand when you are mature.
1) do NOT let the toxic naysayers diminish your light.

Read this again and write it down. What does this make you feel?

Stop trolling and giving vulnerable girl silly ideas about tipping landlords and trading batteries. Landlords make enough dough. With current private prices in London and academic halls costs, soon ppl will and should go on streets
Reply 4
Original post by Pinkgirl30
Stop trolling and giving vulnerable girl silly ideas about tipping landlords and trading batteries. Landlords make enough dough. With current private prices in London and academic halls costs, soon ppl will and should go on streets

Well Pinky30, you'll be shocked to discover that 78% of landlords in London live in the most poverty-stricken boroughs, with 21% claiming they suffer from intense stress/depression due to their job within 1 year of taking up the role.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Pinkgirl30
Hi,

Well, I went thru some life stuff and believe me, not everybody will like you, appreciate you and you can only grow thick skin. F*** these girls. Love yourself, your body and look at yourself in positive way. Do not let these toxic naysayers diminish your light and value.

Its psychological manipulation what they do to you and exclusion. They possibly wanted to use you to do job, and now bcuz you stood up for yourself, they are punishing you/trying to guilt trip you into apologising or simply, they want to bring you down and make you fail in life/academics. Ppl are cruel. Better grow thick skin.

As for memory issues, concentration issues, physical symptoms-go and see doctor. No shame to seek help. Do not suffer in silence. Is it sudden occurrence, long term issue or did it start after friends dumped you? Worth checking for ear infection.

As for own shadow distraction/lack of goal-sounds like anxiety but I am not dr so can't diagnose you. Its common in life to not have goal, lose goal, lose interest. You live many lives in your one life.

I had a job for 10years and now, I work part time and I struggle with mental health. I failed Uni and I am in my 30s. No idea what is next. I will recommend what drs/kind ppl recommended to me-journalling helps. Write it out. Anger, feelings. Career ideas, possible goals. What you liked, like. What would you like. its just some ideas but you can write, whatever you want. If you are ashamed of own feelings, then write and tear the paper.

Except journalling, you can seek some online resources for mental health. Nhs sites, listening place website.

Also, you can go to GP and ask for therapy but due to own experiences, I know not every therapist is professional. Good therapist will help you to address concerns, form sort of goal, and will be transparent how many sessions you have and what they can do for you in limited time. Be strong. Be resilient. Life is tough.

Thankyou so much, I don’t really know how to be thick-skinned but I’ll try. I thought therapy would be an option but I don’t know if my thoughts are just silly. My memory has always been bad, but my concentration was impeccable, I could go up to 7 hours studying non-stop if I wanted. But during my last year of high school in the uk (gcse’s) we would have group study calls where they discovered I repeated information to myself non-stop to remember it, because I accidentally didn’t mute. It was a simple joke at first, but then (in the next year) I started to become impatient and would cram more information in a shorter amount of time. “If they could do it, why can’t I?” was my thoughts at the time and still is tbh. I would then forget the information and spend longer to remember it. The time needed slowly increased until exam period came along. I just wanted it to be over.
To summarise, I think because of their joke, I pressured myself to complete tasks faster, when I didn’t I got upset and tried again, when this continued I lost motivation which caused my concentration to decrease and this impacted my memory in a way I never knew was possible. If my memory was 0 before, now it may be at the minus end. So it’s basically me being weak I guess.
I’ve never been strong, I don’t know how to be. The only 2 people in my family is my older sister who doesn’t believe in mental illnesses and my mother who believes every bad omen or object is because of lucifer, including mental illnesses. My teachers believe I’m this amazing academic student who doesn’t need help even when I asked for it, and my friends aren’t really my friends. I feel like I can never find the right people and even when I finally reconnected with my closest friend from primary, I broke my phone and I lost her contact because it didn’t transfer to my new phone.
I feel like I’m fighting against the world. And it never ends, I guess it’s the same for most people.
I just want to thank you for your words of advice, I never even thought the ringing could be an infection, I’ll check it out. Thankyou and I wish the best for you! I can’t even imagine spending a decade at a work place. I’ll pray and keep you in my thoughts (I don’t mean to offend if you’re not religious :smile:)
Thankyou and may I ask if I can post here maybe in the future? You don’t have to reply! And I probably won’t post…but I feel like I can talk openly and you gave some really good advice. If not it’s okay, this has been more than what I was expecting, thank you again and have a lovely day :j
Reply 6
You will be shocked to discover, that despite stress in my past job(10years and freaking loyalty to employer&team&being on call often and doing my best)& freaking long shifts, 5am starts, 3-4am wake ups not many ppl gave a f*ck about me and my health. I struggled with depression&disability.

Employer did not help, neither get involved till I went for 8months sick leave. Ultimately had no choice but to leave job. No tips allowed.

As for landlords tipping-their job stressful, mortgage over head, bank behind back and demanding tenants. Repairs, liability, legal compliance. Well. A lot of ppl have it in their everyday job. If landlord is good, tenants stay.

As for tipping landlords, I may not maybe tip, but get Xmas thank you to my landlord after 3years of stability, good conditions, in peace, and protection(of deposit) plus ability to pay rent by bank transfer.

Why should I tip landlords, who:
-encourage cash payments and later scream they were not paid
-landlords not protecting tenants
-awful conditions despite high rent(how landlord manages financial affairs?)
-harass tenants endlessly(by phone or in person)

Quick Reply

Latest