The Student Room Group

I want an ADHD Diagnosis help!

Okay so i've been procrastinating this thing for a few good years but now im realising that this would have been so useful before i actually started university...

I want to go down the right to choose path but have no idea which provider to choose Psychiatry UK which have now stopped titrations (i believe this is the medication route?) or ADHD360.

Both have wait times of over 12 months and ADHD360 has said they have a waiting list of 18 months currently im just really worried that i wont get the help and support that i need before i graduate, currently entering year 2 so may only get the diagnosis in year 4 when i graduate ;-;

I've also been really nervous about starting the whole process, i'd have to do it alone since my parents dont really believe in the validity of mental health existing. And honestly? I don't want to walk in and ask for a diagnosis because i feel like im answering the questions to just please the GP? Probably a valid concern but i happen to keep overthinking it or i dont want to walk away with people telling me actually you don't have this ADHD you keep thinking you have had for the past several years but you are just a lazy individual...

Has anyone recently been through the process that could just offer some words of support or talk about how the process goes
Reply 1
hi i'm going into my second year too. i'm not sure what your uni offers, but my university's wellbeing centre can refer students who come to them for help and even get them a diagnosis quickly - one of my friend's got diagnosed quickly after she reached out. if your uni has something like a wellbeing centre i think it would be worth it to get some advice on what to do and maybe even ask if they could recommend anything. i hope that you get the support you want :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by okayykayy
hi i'm going into my second year too. i'm not sure what your uni offers, but my university's wellbeing centre can refer students who come to them for help and even get them a diagnosis quickly - one of my friend's got diagnosed quickly after she reached out. if your uni has something like a wellbeing centre i think it would be worth it to get some advice on what to do and maybe even ask if they could recommend anything. i hope that you get the support you want :smile:

oh wow !! that sounds really great, i'll try to reach out to the wellbeing centre and see what they can offer! i know that my uni has a free screening process but it doesn't count towards a referral or diagnosis but this could be a great starting point for me thank you so much!
Reply 3
@UWE Official Rep I'm just wondering is there any input you could add to this as you're the university in question and any direction in resources would be great!
The real question is what you're hoping to get out of a diagnosis - if you specifically want the meds you will need a diagnosis, and hopefully your uni support services can help with speeding this up, but if you just want help with coping strategies and ways to work with how your brain works, your wellbeing and support services should be able to help you to work out what works for you, with or without a diagnosis - the most important thing is that you tell anyone who may be able to help you as soon as possible that you think you may have ADHD and what specifically you struggle with.
Hope you get whatever you need :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest