The Student Room Group

How tf am I supposed to bring my gaming PC to uni

Guys I want to bring my gaming PC to uni but how tf am I supposed to fit it into a suit case 😂 am I missing something because how do people manage to bringe large items with them?? I am intending on moving out with the train. I mean I could fit it into a suit case but it would waste a lot of the space inside.

For any PC nerds like me, it's a full ATX motherboard size and mid tower I believe.

Let me know!
Original post by Clivierx
Guys I want to bring my gaming PC to uni but how tf am I supposed to fit it into a suit case 😂 am I missing something because how do people manage to bringe large items with them?? I am intending on moving out with the train. I mean I could fit it into a suit case but it would waste a lot of the space inside.

For any PC nerds like me, it's a full ATX motherboard size and mid tower I believe.

Let me know!

The way most people handle situations like this is persuade their parents to drive them (and their stuff) to uni rather than taking the train.
Pack it into a suitcase, fill the case with clothes (storage + protection). I had to do multiple trips, once for the pc once for the monitor.
Reply 3
Original post by mah1000000
Pack it into a suitcase, fill the case with clothes (storage + protection). I had to do multiple trips, once for the pc once for the monitor.

oh wow for real?? When you move out it there normally a time period that you can move in or is it one specific day?
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
The way most people handle situations like this is persuade their parents to drive them (and their stuff) to uni rather than taking the train.

mmm I see
Reply 5
Mate, if your parents are unwilling to assist, the best case scenario would be to ship it to your eaccomadation, but take out the GPU and take it with you as it does not take up much room and you do not want it to be damaged during shipping.
Reply 6
Original post by Young_Kenoz
Mate, if your parents are unwilling to assist, the best case scenario would be to ship it to your eaccomadation, but take out the GPU and take it with you as it does not take up much room and you do not want it to be damaged during shipping.

Yeah man you're right, thank you appreciate it big time
Reply 7
oh wow for real?? When you move out it there normally a time period that you can move in or is it one specific day?

Your accommodation should let you know when you can start arriving. That's typically the weekend before freshers week -- i.e. moving in is split over the Saturday and Sunday. If you need to move out over the Christmas/Easter vacations you'll be told, and advised when you can return. You'll also be told when you need to leave for the end of the summer term.

Leaving tends to be more spread out, as some people will start moving out once their academic commitments have finished.

Obviously there's nothing to stop you moving some of your stuff down at the start of term and then bringing more stuff later.
(edited 7 months ago)

Let me know!

How far is uni from home?
One option is do you have any mates with a car / family members who could be persuaded to drive you if you paid them petrol money? :smile: Another option would be to hire someone with a van
Original post by DataVenia

^^^^ this

Spoiler

(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Chronoscope
How far is uni from home?
One option is do you have any mates with a car / family members who could be persuaded to drive you if you paid them petrol money? :smile: Another option would be to hire someone with a van

^^^^ this

Spoiler

I am like 2-6 hours away depending on the uni. Most likely 2 or 3. I think my stuff would fit in my car as my parents own a Tiguan volkswagon which is a pretty big car.
Reply 10
Original post by martin7
Your accommodation should let you know when you can start arriving. That's typically the weekend before freshers week -- i.e. moving in is split over the Saturday and Sunday. If you need to move out over the Christmas/Easter vacations you'll be told, and advised when you can return. You'll also be told when you need to leave for the end of the summer term.

Leaving tends to be more spread out, as some people will start moving out once their academic commitments have finished.

Obviously there's nothing to stop you moving some of your stuff down at the start of term and then bringing more stuff later.

mmm I see, thanks for this!!
Reply 11

Let me know!

literally stuck in the same situation rn, lmk if you find a way bc i need to asap
Reply 12
Original post by yev123
literally stuck in the same situation rn, lmk if you find a way bc i need to asap

just post it to your accommodation, its the best way tbh. But remove the glass from the PC because it will most likely shatter and leave a huge mess. Bring the glass with you and you should be good :smile:
Reply 13
just post it to your accommodation, its the best way tbh. But remove the glass from the PC because it will most likely shatter and leave a huge mess. Bring the glass with you and you should be good :smile:

thanks i dont know how im gonna set up a 27i monitor in that desk tho havent figured that out yet

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending