The Student Room Group

Worried about my PC's temperature when gaming.

I have an intel i7 with Nvidia 2070 Evo

I usually play all my games with maxed out graphics.

Games like Hogwarts Legacy, RD2, Skyrim with a few dozen mods.

I notice that when my PC is on, without anything open, it'll reach the 35/45 C range.

When I play most games I get 60/65

I've had the pc for 3/4 years now.

Should I be worried ?
Reply 1
nah, it's fine
It is fine.
Reply 3
Original post by random_matt
It is fine.

I removed as much dust as I could from it yesterday with a can of compressed air and non static cloth.

It makes slightly less noise, but I'm still worried about it ...

I know that it heats up to 65C at some points in the games, when there's a lot going on... I think that's normal in any case.

I had a problem with it when I was in Portugal, the battery smoked but I got that replaced and according to the guy who replaced it he couldn't see anything else wrong. It literally smoked...

Best PC I've ever had, so you can imagine I take good care of it.
Original post by Barbu
I removed as much dust as I could from it yesterday with a can of compressed air and non static cloth.

It makes slightly less noise, but I'm still worried about it ...

I know that it heats up to 65C at some points in the games, when there's a lot going on... I think that's normal in any case.

I had a problem with it when I was in Portugal, the battery smoked but I got that replaced and according to the guy who replaced it he couldn't see anything else wrong. It literally smoked...

Best PC I've ever had, so you can imagine I take good care of it.

I wouldn't worry about it at all.

PC components, particularly GPU's are designed to operate at very high temperatures and it's very unlikely that you would ever actually get anywhere close to the temperatures where you would experience any kind of throttling or damage to components. In some cases they can be designed to go up to high 80s and some even higher so you're well within normal operating temperatures both when idle and under load.

When you say it makes noise, what sort of noise does it make? Is it just the fans are on a high speed for the temperature, is it like something is vibrating, or is it like a whining high pitched sound?

If it's the fans just at high speed, then again you don't really need to worry, vibrating could mean a component is incorrectly seated or your fans aren't secured properly (I had this a few years ago after the screws started to give and they would make the case vibrate very loudly. I just had to back the screws off and re-tighten them, not too tight though). If it's a whining sound, usually when you have a game running, this would likely be coil-whine from my experience. There are multiple causes for coil-whine (plenty of articles online about it) but thankfully for the most part it's harmless to your system and just an annoying sound you have to put up with.

I hope some of this helps but happy to answer any more questions or concerns you might have.

James - Teesside University
Original post by Barbu
I have an intel i7 with Nvidia 2070 Evo

I usually play all my games with maxed out graphics.

Games like Hogwarts Legacy, RD2, Skyrim with a few dozen mods.

I notice that when my PC is on, without anything open, it'll reach the 35/45 C range.

When I play most games I get 60/65

I've had the pc for 3/4 years now.

Should I be worried ?

Put it in rice. If that doesn't work, throwing a bucket of ice over it should do the trick.
Reply 6
Original post by Teesside University
I wouldn't worry about it at all.

PC components, particularly GPU's are designed to operate at very high temperatures and it's very unlikely that you would ever actually get anywhere close to the temperatures where you would experience any kind of throttling or damage to components. In some cases they can be designed to go up to high 80s and some even higher so you're well within normal operating temperatures both when idle and under load.

When you say it makes noise, what sort of noise does it make? Is it just the fans are on a high speed for the temperature, is it like something is vibrating, or is it like a whining high pitched sound?

If it's the fans just at high speed, then again you don't really need to worry, vibrating could mean a component is incorrectly seated or your fans aren't secured properly (I had this a few years ago after the screws started to give and they would make the case vibrate very loudly. I just had to back the screws off and re-tighten them, not too tight though). If it's a whining sound, usually when you have a game running, this would likely be coil-whine from my experience. There are multiple causes for coil-whine (plenty of articles online about it) but thankfully for the most part it's harmless to your system and just an annoying sound you have to put up with.

I hope some of this helps but happy to answer any more questions or concerns you might have.

Thanks for the feedback!

It's not high pitched, but more like a humming or a droning kind of sound. Obviously pcs make their own noises and I can't expect it to be completely silent, it's just this noise has me a bit worried.
Original post by Barbu
Thanks for the feedback!

It's not high pitched, but more like a humming or a droning kind of sound. Obviously pcs make their own noises and I can't expect it to be completely silent, it's just this noise has me a bit worried.

No problem at all!

With what you've described, it sounds to me like it could just be the general sounds your PC would make from running and I'd say it's likely nothing to worry about (even though I can't say with 100% certainty).

I know you'd said it made slightly less noise once you'd cleaned it, but had it always made that kind of noise before and had it just got louder over time before you cleaned it?

I'm by no means a PC expert but I have one that I built myself so just trying to see if I can figure it out from my own experience, but to me it sounds like it's just normal running noise rather than something that's an issue. Is the noise constant from when you boot to shutting down or is it only when you're playing something or after it's been running a game for a while?

[start]Well, as you told that your PC is 4 years old, so are you.[/start]
[start]Do you send it for service every year?[/start]
[start]Do you use your PC in an AC room?[/start]
[start]Plus, I believe that good service will solve the problem. Right now, my room temperature is 10 degrees Celsius, and even my hands are cold, and this weather is best for PC health—cold weather.[/start]
Reply 9
Original post by Teesside University
No problem at all!

With what you've described, it sounds to me like it could just be the general sounds your PC would make from running and I'd say it's likely nothing to worry about (even though I can't say with 100% certainty).

I know you'd said it made slightly less noise once you'd cleaned it, but had it always made that kind of noise before and had it just got louder over time before you cleaned it?

I'm by no means a PC expert but I have one that I built myself so just trying to see if I can figure it out from my own experience, but to me it sounds like it's just normal running noise rather than something that's an issue. Is the noise constant from when you boot to shutting down or is it only when you're playing something or after it's been running a game for a while?

I couldn't tell you when I started hearing the noise. It could be as you said that's it's the standard running sound of the PC.

I think it all comes to the day the battery smoked and I took it for a repair. The guy at the shop said it was running perfectly after that and I've not had a single issue since.

So maybe it's just me, you know ?

A PC is a bit like a car... You know your car sounds when it's running normally, and you can easily notice a sound that could be something wrong.

The principal is that the temperature aren't in excess, it's not slow at all and it runs the highest graphics just
fine.

Quick Reply

Latest