The Student Room Group

Does Cambridge consider all 4 A-Levels?

Someone I know is looking to apply for Computer Science at Cambridge and is currently doing A-Levels in Computer Science, Maths, Biology, and German. They are expecting A* predictions in CS, maths, and bio but a B in German. Will this disadvantage their application a lot even if it isn't even a relevant A-Level for their subject?

They aren't really looking to drop German to be honest.

Thanks

EDIT: They said they would consider taking German as just an AS if the grade prediction were to really jeopardise their chances, but ideally they would like to continue it to A2.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
I don’t think that a B in German will disadvantage the application if it is a fourth A level. A good option though would be to drop the German and pick up further maths, which carries a lot of weight in a Cambridge application for Computer studies. I think that the lack of further maths will hold you back more than a predicted B in German. Make sure that you sit the TMUA and perform well in it, especially without the further maths. Good luck x
Reply 2
Original post by CAG575
I don’t think that a B in German will disadvantage the application if it is a fourth A level. A good option though would be to drop the German and pick up further maths, which carries a lot of weight in a Cambridge application for Computer studies. I think that the lack of further maths will hold you back more than a predicted B in German. Make sure that you sit the TMUA and perform well in it, especially without the further maths. Good luck x

Thanks for the advice, I will def pass this on to him :smile: As for picking up Further Maths, would that be just doing AS FM in Y13, or do you mean doing the full A-Level course in Y13?
Original post by haum3a
Thanks for the advice, I will def pass this on to him :smile: As for picking up Further Maths, would that be just doing AS FM in Y13, or do you mean doing the full A-Level course in Y13?

Did your college offer FM as an A-Level? If so, they expect him to have done the full A-Level I believe.
Reply 4
Original post by AnotherStudent!
Did your college offer FM as an A-Level? If so, they expect him to have done the full A-Level I believe.

They do! Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending