The Student Room Group

Tech and computer science A level question

I am currently studying four A levels: Further maths, maths, computer science and physics. However, I am wanting to go an aspirational uni, and as taking four has been affecting my grades such that they are not where they need to be, I am debating whether to drop CS, as I am bad at the actual exam itself whilst being good at the practical side of things. At current, I am aiming for a maths degree and hopefully a doctorate if possible, what sector I go into I do not know yet, but in honesty I just love maths so much and so want to study it to as high a level as possible. But I was worried that if I were to ever change my mind and decide I wanted to do something computer science based, I would not be capable. Does anybody know if mathematicians with degrees/doctorates are valued in the world of computer science if they do not have that computer science A level/degree? And if so, how difficult would it be relative to now to actually achieve that A level when I am working and have a job vs now as a 17 year old at present with fewer responsibilities and more free time? As although by dropping it now and focusing on three in order to have a higher chance of getting into the top unis (Currently my absolute dream would be Cambridge), but I am concerned that, if I ever wanted to go into something like that, I would have screwed myself over by the choices I make as a young person.
Reply 1
Original post by MathsEnjoyer
I am currently studying four A levels: Further maths, maths, computer science and physics. However, I am wanting to go an aspirational uni, and as taking four has been affecting my grades such that they are not where they need to be, I am debating whether to drop CS, as I am bad at the actual exam itself whilst being good at the practical side of things. At current, I am aiming for a maths degree and hopefully a doctorate if possible, what sector I go into I do not know yet, but in honesty I just love maths so much and so want to study it to as high a level as possible. But I was worried that if I were to ever change my mind and decide I wanted to do something computer science based, I would not be capable. Does anybody know if mathematicians with degrees/doctorates are valued in the world of computer science if they do not have that computer science A level/degree? And if so, how difficult would it be relative to now to actually achieve that A level when I am working and have a job vs now as a 17 year old at present with fewer responsibilities and more free time? As although by dropping it now and focusing on three in order to have a higher chance of getting into the top unis (Currently my absolute dream would be Cambridge), but I am concerned that, if I ever wanted to go into something like that, I would have screwed myself over by the choices I make as a young person.

I know many people who are currently 17 who are aiming to do a maths degree as well. Three of my friends are hoping to do a maths degree and go into computing, I myself do not know if that is a viable way of doing it but they are all aiming to go to the top universities like yourself. Studying computer science is not a necessity to do it university. What is the average number of A levels people at your school take. If it is 4 then unis may look at that and be confused about why you only take three, universities will want you to be doing the normal amount for your school, as long as that is within reason to get into the university, i.e. if your school norm is 2 A levels but you need 3 to go to uni then you need to be studying 3. (I hope this helps :smile: )
Reply 2
Original post by _user_
I know many people who are currently 17 who are aiming to do a maths degree as well. Three of my friends are hoping to do a maths degree and go into computing, I myself do not know if that is a viable way of doing it but they are all aiming to go to the top universities like yourself. Studying computer science is not a necessity to do it university. What is the average number of A levels people at your school take. If it is 4 then unis may look at that and be confused about why you only take three, universities will want you to be doing the normal amount for your school, as long as that is within reason to get into the university, i.e. if your school norm is 2 A levels but you need 3 to go to uni then you need to be studying 3. (I hope this helps :smile: )

Thank you so much for the advice! My sixth form encourages us to do 3, so much so actually to the point they have meetings with those doing 4 at the end of the year, so I think there are only a couple of people doing it at the moment, and I know all the year 13s with Cambridge application currently and historically have done 3 A levels in my sixth form, there is not actually anybody in the Y13 cohort this year that got into Cambridge and does 4, so that is not a concern. That is good to know, as I was just stressing that by not doing computer science, I might trap myself into certain jobs if I did not do it, but it is good to hear others are doing similar things to myself, thank you so much for the advice! :smile:
Reply 3
Thank you so much for the advice! My sixth form encourages us to do 3, so much so actually to the point they have meetings with those doing 4 at the end of the year, so I think there are only a couple of people doing it at the moment, and I know all the year 13s with Cambridge application currently and historically have done 3 A levels in my sixth form, there is not actually anybody in the Y13 cohort this year that got into Cambridge and does 4, so that is not a concern. That is good to know, as I was just stressing that by not doing computer science, I might trap myself into certain jobs if I did not do it, but it is good to hear others are doing similar things to myself, thank you so much for the advice! :smile:

No problem, also I was wondering if you had any recs on what to do to put on my uni application, I'm also considering computer science but i have no clue on what I should be doing to be able to put it on my personal statement. Thanks :smile:
Reply 4
My school is very Oxbridge driven, so we are put onto a course for the subject we want to apply for. As I have wanted to do a maths degree since the start, I do not know much about the specifics of computer science personal statements, but from what I have heard, you need to show you are academically able, teachable, and passionate, after all, you are spending a sizeable chunk of money to go to uni, so you need to make sure you have that passion, so that is what they look for. Although I cannot comment on cs, for maths (Noting my ps is trying to appeal more to Cambridge, so this may not be a 'One size fits all' thing), but from what I have seen on other successful personal statements that I have tried to incorporate into my own is that you show how you have found your passion and what you have done (For example, "I learnt about so and so, which I found super interesting, so I looked into it, which lead me to this, then this, and so on", not just random examples that do not link), at least that is what I have seen. I have some friends doing Cambridge applications for computer science, so I will ask around and at the next Oxbridge session (We are currently doing personal statement workshops, so that is lucky!) and see if there are any top tips I could give you but all in all, I would say listen to your teachers and see what they have to say :smile: Next session is next Thursday, but can ask around before then, so I will message you when I have more info!
Reply 5
My school is very Oxbridge driven, so we are put onto a course for the subject we want to apply for. As I have wanted to do a maths degree since the start, I do not know much about the specifics of computer science personal statements, but from what I have heard, you need to show you are academically able, teachable, and passionate, after all, you are spending a sizeable chunk of money to go to uni, so you need to make sure you have that passion, so that is what they look for. Although I cannot comment on cs, for maths (Noting my ps is trying to appeal more to Cambridge, so this may not be a 'One size fits all' thing), but from what I have seen on other successful personal statements that I have tried to incorporate into my own is that you show how you have found your passion and what you have done (For example, "I learnt about so and so, which I found super interesting, so I looked into it, which lead me to this, then this, and so on", not just random examples that do not link), at least that is what I have seen. I have some friends doing Cambridge applications for computer science, so I will ask around and at the next Oxbridge session (We are currently doing personal statement workshops, so that is lucky!) and see if there are any top tips I could give you but all in all, I would say listen to your teachers and see what they have to say :smile: Next session is next Thursday, but can ask around before then, so I will message you when I have more info!

Thank you so much!!!
Reply 6

Hi btw, Did you end up finding any top tips? Please lmk if you do! Thank you!
Reply 7
Original post by _user_
Hi btw, Did you end up finding any top tips? Please lmk if you do! Thank you!

Hi, I am so so sorry, as I just realised I forgot to post here, I am ever so sorry! The session I was aiming to attended was cancelled because the teacher was sick and it was the last one of that year there will be some more held at some point this year before the UCAS deadline so I will be sure to ask if I can, I am really sorry however!
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending