The Student Room Group

Feeling like im not living

So I've pinpointed what I've been feeling for years of my life. I don't really know how to explain it but its like everyone living their life is the driver of their own car, but I constantly feel like the backseat passenger in my own car, I'm just there; I'm never really present. Its been getting a lot worse lately and I have a constant need to seek something. I don't know what, I want to just get up and ditch everything because I'm tired of feeling like I'm just existing and not really living. I want to break up with my boyfriend of four years, like its not normal I don't feel normal. I feel so out of it . I've tried doing different things to "change up" my routine but nothing is working. I still feel like I'm just watching every minute tick by waiting for the day to end and just start a new one. I've tried to ignore this feeling of loneliness for so long, I keep telling myself "I'm surrounded by so many goo people I shouldn't feel this way, this will pass" but it hasn't.

I cant ignore this feeling much longer because its creeping in on me every day, and no matter how hard I'm trying to push it aside its not working anymore. I'm hurting people around me and I'm lost. I don't know who to explain this to because I've tried to but people just don't seem to get it I guess. They just see that I'm surrounded by people and think I'm overreacting. I seriously don't know how much I can take, I feel switched off and like my skin is constantly itching for something. Sorry if this is a bit all over the place but I don't know how else to explain it
Reply 1
This requires digging deeper. I think you are trying to get away from something. Take this with a huge grain of salt as I hardly have any info, but my best guess is that you've been doing something or being someone you don't want due to some imposed pressures for a long time and you need to first see why that might be (unresolved trauma?) and who you are avoiding being because you don't think it is appropriate for some reason. This won't resolve over night, but if you journal and answer the hard questions that will illuminate the real you, you can start taking steps towards revealing that person to the world and to yourself. These steps do not need to include alienating people you care about so long as you establish that you truly care about them and you are not holding onto relationships for the wrong reasons. Best of luck!
Reply 2
Original post by gegun
This requires digging deeper. I think you are trying to get away from something. Take this with a huge grain of salt as I hardly have any info, but my best guess is that you've been doing something or being someone you don't want due to some imposed pressures for a long time and you need to first see why that might be (unresolved trauma?) and who you are avoiding being because you don't think it is appropriate for some reason. This won't resolve over night, but if you journal and answer the hard questions that will illuminate the real you, you can start taking steps towards revealing that person to the world and to yourself. These steps do not need to include alienating people you care about so long as you establish that you truly care about them and you are not holding onto relationships for the wrong reasons. Best of luck!

Thankyou this is actually a really interesting way of looking at it. I've been trying it for the last few weeks and it actually has helped a bit. but like you said it doesn't resolve over night so I'm still going :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest