The Student Room Group

Pharmacy with a foundation year or do access course

Hi I wanna do pharmacy in uni but I don’t do the right A levels so I’m thinking of doing a foundation year at uni or do science access course that can get me into pharmacy I was just wondering which one do you recommend me of doing
Original post by Vibe2226
Hi I wanna do pharmacy in uni but I don’t do the right A levels so I’m thinking of doing a foundation year at uni or do science access course that can get me into pharmacy I was just wondering which one do you recommend me of doing

I personally recommend doing the Science Access course, because:

You have more flexibility over which MPharm degree at which uni you decide to go to (foundation years tend to restrict you to the uni that you did your foundation year at and can make transfers to other unis challenging)

Should you decide to not do MPharm, the Access course woud likely allow you to go into other types of degrees and not just those limited to life sciences (physics, engineering, computer science, and maths is a bit more difficult in terms of entry requirements) e.g. property, business, law, psychology, design.

You owe £3500 max, as opposed to the standard £9k

It's not likely as intensive (although I have not done a foundation year myself)

The thing you would need to be aware of when doing an Access course:

Not all unis accept Access courses, so you would need to check the entry requirements for each one (most that do accredited MPharms tend to accept them, but do check)

You would often need a certain amount of credit in specific subjects in the Access course e.g. 10-15 credits in biology, and 10-15 credits in chemistry, but you would need to check the entry requirements of the degree for these.

Some unis can be picky about which Access course you do and from which college that you did them from - don't think this is an issue with any of the MPharm degrees as far as I could remember though.

Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
I personally recommend doing the Science Access course, because:

You have more flexibility over which MPharm degree at which uni you decide to go to (foundation years tend to restrict you to the uni that you did your foundation year at and can make transfers to other unis challenging)

Should you decide to not do MPharm, the Access course woud likely allow you to go into other types of degrees and not just those limited to life sciences (physics, engineering, computer science, and maths is a bit more difficult in terms of entry requirements) e.g. property, business, law, psychology, design.

You owe £3500 max, as opposed to the standard £9k

It's not likely as intensive (although I have not done a foundation year myself)

The thing you would need to be aware of when doing an Access course:

Not all unis accept Access courses, so you would need to check the entry requirements for each one (most that do accredited MPharms tend to accept them, but do check)

You would often need a certain amount of credit in specific subjects in the Access course e.g. 10-15 credits in biology, and 10-15 credits in chemistry, but you would need to check the entry requirements of the degree for these.

Some unis can be picky about which Access course you do and from which college that you did them from - don't think this is an issue with any of the MPharm degrees as far as I could remember though.

Thank you so much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending