The Student Room Group

Should I do a science essay competition for my personal statement?

I'm planning to apply for biological sciences and I've put some competitions in my ps. However they're all test-based competitions, so I was wondering if I should also do an essay based one to show more diversity, or is it a waste of time and the type of competition doesn't really matter. Can anyone give me some advice? Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by rydima
I'm planning to apply for biological sciences and I've put some competitions in my ps. However they're all test-based competitions, so I was wondering if I should also do an essay based one to show more diversity, or is it a waste of time and the type of competition doesn't really matter. Can anyone give me some advice? Thanks.

The more that you can put in your personal statement that demonstrates your passion for the subject beyond the A level syllabus, the better. Doing essay competitions is a really good way of demonstrating this and guiding your research/reading. Doesn’t matter whether you win or not, it will give you something extra to discuss in your ps . I’m sure that you will find that the research you do to write your essay is fascinating because and it made you realise also, you will end up quite well informed about whatever you write your essay on and so will be able to write well about your views and discuss it at interview.

I’m absolutely not saying that you must enter essay competitions, but in answer to the question “is it a waste of time?” The answer is no it is not a waste of time”.

Good luck 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending