The Student Room Group

Can I write my personal statement for both ecological and medical biology?

I'm a Y12 student applying for uni soon, and I'm getting ready to start my personal statement (for natural sciences - particularly biology and maths). My problem is that half of the things (for biology) I have done are medical, and the other half are ecological. E.g:

- I have volunteered at a hospital since October 2022.
- I have been to biomedical science conferences.
- I am planning to volunteer in hospice.
- I have entered an essay competition writing about succession.

Because of this, I'm not sure whether the uni admissions might misinterpret this as me not being interested in biology in some way? (given that I can't pick a part of biology to be interested in). Should I leave some of the things I have done out of my personal statement to focus on one part of biology or just leave it?
Given that biomed and ecological science can be loosely construed as biology, I don't think so, but it ultimately comes down to how well you can explain it in your PS. Since natural sciences is pretty interdisciplinary anyway, so I'd say that how well you link your interests to your course would be more important.
Original post by tastierspoon460
I'm a Y12 student applying for uni soon, and I'm getting ready to start my personal statement (for natural sciences - particularly biology and maths). My problem is that half of the things (for biology) I have done are medical, and the other half are ecological. E.g:

- I have volunteered at a hospital since October 2022.
- I have been to biomedical science conferences.
- I am planning to volunteer in hospice.
- I have entered an essay competition writing about succession.

Because of this, I'm not sure whether the uni admissions might misinterpret this as me not being interested in biology in some way? (given that I can't pick a part of biology to be interested in). Should I leave some of the things I have done out of my personal statement to focus on one part of biology or just leave it?

Hey!

I’m Oliver and am currently a third year in natural sciences studying synthetic chemistry and biochemistry pathways at Lancaster.

Natural sciences is by design a broad and flexible degree and therefore my advice for personal statements is to try and demonstrate your breadth of knowledge, interests and experience. As long as you can relate your experience to an area your interested in and want to learn about further at university then it's definitely worth including.

Hope that is helpful and best of luck with your decision 😊Feel free to ask me any other questions if you have any

Oliver (Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending