The Student Room Group

Low gcse grades

I had a grade 5 in chemistry and biology gcse but I want to take them for A-levels will I be Able to get into a college
Original post by Damilolaf
I had a grade 5 in chemistry and biology gcse but I want to take them for A-levels will I be Able to get into a college

So your chances of being able to do them for a-levels aren’t as high as if you’d done a bit better, but you still possibly have a chance. Research colleges in your area and check entry requirements-don’t worry there is still a good chance if you do your research, remember a lot of people got lower grades than predicted this year due to higher grade boundaries so colleges may be a bit more lenient.
I wouldn't do Bio and Chem if you got a grade 5. All 3 sciences get super tough at a level and need a lot more work than other subjects. I got a 9 in all 3 of my sciences and picked physics, which some people say is easier than chemistry, however, in my AS Level exam in year 12, I got a C, and chemistry is much worse than physics. Although, if you want to do a vocational course in science in college, then go ahead. It would be much easier than a level and can still get into a lot of courses at top universities (perhaps not medicine as its really competitive). Anyway whatever you do in the future, good luck :smile:!!

I also got grade 5 in science when i wanted to do biology and chemistry, in my school the grade requirements was 7-7 but i found another school with grade 6-6 requirements which is closer so yes you can find other 6th or colleges with lower grade requirements just some might say 6-6 so you really need to persuade them and talk about mock grades if you got higher it might have been you had a bad day or smth happened for you to get 5-5 so you can mention that only do seperate science if you really want to do it theres also applied science
you can mention that your already learning back the gcse spefication so you know the basic and wont be behind
Reply 4
Original post by Liya_123
I also got grade 5 in science when i wanted to do biology and chemistry, in my school the grade requirements was 7-7 but i found another school with grade 6-6 requirements which is closer so yes you can find other 6th or colleges with lower grade requirements just some might say 6-6 so you really need to persuade them and talk about mock grades if you got higher it might have been you had a bad day or smth happened for you to get 5-5 so you can mention that only do seperate science if you really want to do it theres also applied science
you can mention that your already learning back the gcse spefication so you know the basic and wont be behind

what colleges would you suggest
what colleges would you suggest

colleges with low grade requirements so you can look for those in your area or abit far

No

Try different places with lower entry requirements for A Levels
If not, try T levels or level 3 apprenticeship

Quick Reply

Latest