The Student Room Group

What academic profile is better for job prospects?

I wanted to know your opinions on this...

Is it better to have ABB+ in your A-Levels and have a 2:2 degree, or is it better to have BBC at A-Level with a 2:1 degree?
Reply 1
Original post by Law487
I wanted to know your opinions on this...

Is it better to have ABB+ in your A-Levels and have a 2:2 degree, or is it better to have BBC at A-Level with a 2:1 degree?

Truthfully? No one really cares about academic success in the jobs world. They just care about your ability to do the job which is why apprenticeships have really taken off, especially in the tech world.

So if you really want to get ahead of the competition, get work experience over and above top grades. Everyone has AAA* and a 1st degree. So they are pretty worthless.
Reply 2
Original post by hotpud
Truthfully? No one really cares about academic success in the jobs world. They just care about your ability to do the job which is why apprenticeships have really taken off, especially in the tech world.

So if you really want to get ahead of the competition, get work experience over and above top grades. Everyone has AAA* and a 1st degree. So they are pretty worthless.

This makes me feel awful. I only got BBC in my A Levels, and I worked fairly hard to bag a good 2:1 in my law degree. I secured a training contract with a good law firm, but I feel like such an imposter. I feel like I’m going to be the only person in a good job with sub par grades.
Assuming ceteris paribus with no other factors, then BBC at A-Level with a 2:1 degree.

It's the sort of thing where once you do your A-Levels, no one really asks you what you got for your GCSEs, and once you do university, no one really asks what you got for your A-Levels.

The most recent (and higher level) education is the most relevant.
Reply 4
Original post by Law487
This makes me feel awful. I only got BBC in my A Levels, and I worked fairly hard to bag a good 2:1 in my law degree. I secured a training contract with a good law firm, but I feel like such an imposter. I feel like I’m going to be the only person in a good job with sub par grades.

Why? I got CCD and a 2.2. But I got my first job and that all became irrelevant because I could prove my skills. A levels and degrees only prove that you are good at sitting exams. They don't show anything about how effective you will be in a job. The fact you are in a law firm suggests that you were able to articulate yourself well and showed acumen and problem solving abilities. Either that or your mum or dad got you in? 😂

Trust your abilities. Despite the majority getting the best grades, only a minority are genuinely able.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by hotpud
Why? I got CCD and a 2.2. But I got my first job and that all became irrelevant because I could prove my skills. A levels and degrees only prove that you are good at sitting exams. They don't show anything about how effective you will be in a job. The fact you are in a law firm suggests that you were able to articulate yourself well and showed acumen and problem solving abilities. Either that or your mum or dad got you in? 😂

Trust your abilities. Despite the majority getting the best grades, only a minority are genuinely able.

Thank you soo much for reassuring me that I have rightfully earned my place at my law firm!! I did work hard on getting my 2:1, so I get a bit upset when people stick their noses up at a 2:1 and say a first is what everyone should get.
Reply 6
Original post by confuzzledteen
Assuming ceteris paribus with no other factors, then BBC at A-Level with a 2:1 degree.

It's the sort of thing where once you do your A-Levels, no one really asks you what you got for your GCSEs, and once you do university, no one really asks what you got for your A-Levels.

The most recent (and higher level) education is the most relevant.

What do you mean by this phrase, “Assuming ceteris paribus with no other factors, then BBC at A-Level with a 2:1 degree”.

Can you pls elaborate, I didn’t rlly understand this part of your post.
Reply 7
Original post by Law487
Thank you soo much for reassuring me that I have rightfully earned my place at my law firm!! I did work hard on getting my 2:1, so I get a bit upset when people stick their noses up at a 2:1 and say a first is what everyone should get.

Anyone can get a good degree. Not everyone can work for a top law firm. But equally, focus on your own game rather than worry what everyone else is doing or what they think of you.
Reply 8
What is this obsession with knocking people’s academic achievements?
Reply 9
Original post by Law487

Don't worry about that at all and no talking yourself down!

Once you start work no one will be remotely interested in your a level grades at all. What will matter is how you perform at your job when you start it*, not your exam performance when you were 18.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending