The Student Room Group

Yr 12 Work Experience

I'm lost when it comes to work experience. Does anyone know of a route someone studying Criminology, Business, Finance and Law could take to gain work experience?
Original post by Saifiyyah186
I'm lost when it comes to work experience. Does anyone know of a route someone studying Criminology, Business, Finance and Law could take to gain work experience?

Are you hoping to apply for a specific degree?
Are your college insisting that you find a work experience placement?
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Are you hoping to apply for a specific degree?
Are your college insisting that you find a work experience placement?

No actually. I haven't completely decided on a specific degree but I am interested in Business and Management right now. I'm actually new to the British schooling system and am really looking for some helpful tips and insights.
No actually. I haven't completely decided on a specific degree but I am interested in Business and Management right now. I'm actually new to the British schooling system and am really looking for some helpful tips and insights.

For the vast majority of degrees you don’t need work experience. So if your college are pushing you to get experience then go for something that you think you’ll enjoy.
Generally a better idea is to look for part time work (hospitality, shop/supermarket jobs or cleaning or caring jobs are normally most flexible). Having experience in an actual job is a big boost to your prospects - and your wallet! Even if the main thing that you take away from a job is the pay and a certainty that you won’t want to do that sort of work long term it’s a valuable experience!
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
For the vast majority of degrees you don’t need work experience. So if your college are pushing you to get experience then go for something that you think you’ll enjoy.
Generally a better idea is to look for part time work (hospitality, shop/supermarket jobs or cleaning or caring jobs are normally most flexible). Having experience in an actual job is a big boost to your prospects - and your wallet! Even if the main thing that you take away from a job is the pay and a certainty that you won’t want to do that sort of work long term it’s a valuable experience!

Thanks so much. I feel so much better. I actually applied for a job at McDonalds last week but they haven't gotten back to me. I still hope they do. The wait is killing me.
For law, I called up a bunch of firms to see if they offered internships. I got one after a few calls.

It's really helpful seeing the behind-the-scenes; very eye-opening
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 6

Hi!

I think what you could do as a Year 12 student is to try to ask some of your family friends if any of them is a lawyer to shadow them for a couple of days and see what it is like. Alternatively you could try to reach out to some high street firms and again ask to shadow them for a couple of days. I think this could also be a good way to get into the legal industry and maybe network with some lawyers. If you are interested in a legal career, I know the Commercial Law Academy has a great course on alternative legal careers and an introduction to Commercial Law, if you are interested in a career in the City.
Reply 7
Original post by Kb00
Hi!

I think what you could do as a Year 12 student is to try to ask some of your family friends if any of them is a lawyer to shadow them for a couple of days and see what it is like. Alternatively you could try to reach out to some high street firms and again ask to shadow them for a couple of days. I think this could also be a good way to get into the legal industry and maybe network with some lawyers. If you are interested in a legal career, I know the Commercial Law Academy has a great course on alternative legal careers and an introduction to Commercial Law, if you are interested in a career in the City.

Thank you so much. I finally have an idea of a starting point.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending