The Student Room Group

A-Levels Advice

Hi everyone, I got my GCSE results and I got 8 in English Language and Maths, and the rest all 9s, so now I just need some advice about A-levels. I'm thinking of choosing English Literature, History and Economics, and my school suggested I do 4 subjects. My parents are encouraging me to do Maths as my 4th option. During GCSE mocks I struggled to push my grade and kept lingering on a 7, in the end I got a strong 8 once I understood the topics that confused me. Personally, I’ve always been good at memorising information especially in Humanities so I put off science and maths, but now I’ve been thinking about diversifying my skills. Would you recommend Maths, or should I pick a different subject, or only stick to 3 A-levels?
Original post by laura_blues
Hi everyone, I got my GCSE results and I got 8 in English Language and Maths, and the rest all 9s, so now I just need some advice about A-levels. I'm thinking of choosing English Literature, History and Economics, and my school suggested I do 4 subjects. My parents are encouraging me to do Maths as my 4th option. During GCSE mocks I struggled to push my grade and kept lingering on a 7, in the end I got a strong 8 once I understood the topics that confused me. Personally, I’ve always been good at memorising information especially in Humanities so I put off science and maths, but now I’ve been thinking about diversifying my skills. Would you recommend Maths, or should I pick a different subject, or only stick to 3 A-levels?

Do you know what you want to do in the future? It doesn't really put you at an advantage doing 4 A-levels, because you are only required to do 3 to go to UK universities. There will expectation to do well in all 4, and if you struggle at one it will put you at a disadvantage.
Reply 2
Personally I think you should stick with 3 A levels! Especially as Universities won't favour you if you did 4 the process is fair and equal, and you're expected to do 3 not 4.

Also the amount of stress you'll have with 4 A levels is not worth it at all. 3 is already incredibly difficult so even if you're being encouraged you have to think realistically if you'll even be able to get your desired grades with 4 A levels. You might struggle to get A's or B's if you're aiming for that.

It looks better to do good in 3 A levels rather than do bad in 4 A levels, I don't recommend it at all but it's up to you
Reply 3
Original post by Idkhelplol
Personally I think you should stick with 3 A levels! Especially as Universities won't favour you if you did 4 the process is fair and equal, and you're expected to do 3 not 4.

Also the amount of stress you'll have with 4 A levels is not worth it at all. 3 is already incredibly difficult so even if you're being encouraged you have to think realistically if you'll even be able to get your desired grades with 4 A levels. You might struggle to get A's or B's if you're aiming for that.

It looks better to do good in 3 A levels rather than do bad in 4 A levels, I don't recommend it at all but it's up to you

Yeah I heard that universities will pick your best three grades out of the four, but at my school’s sixth form there are a lot of people who do 4 and seem to manage. Either way, I’ll make sure to speak to my teachers and see what’s best for me. Thank you for your advice!
Reply 4
Original post by flowersinmyhair
Do you know what you want to do in the future? It doesn't really put you at an advantage doing 4 A-levels, because you are only required to do 3 to go to UK universities. There will expectation to do well in all 4, and if you struggle at one it will put you at a disadvantage.

I’ve been considering Law, Economics, Marketing, History but I’m not 100% sure what I’d like to do. If I’d struggle with managing all, would it be possible for me to drop one? If yes, would I still obtain a grade?
The first issue is you do not need to do 4 A levels as already said. The risk of taking 4 is that you spread your time to thinly causing you to drop grades. Universities always want high grades in 3 instead of lower grades in 4. Basically they want quality over quantity so AAA is considered better than AABB. If you are offered the first and end up with the second there is a strong likely hood of rejection.

If you are going to take 4 subjects then take a subject you will enjoy and do well in.

As far as whether to take Maths it opens more doors than other subject. Most top universities require A level Maths for Maths, Physics, Engineering, Computer Science, Economics and some will want some form of Maths for things like Psychology, Marketing and Business although that might be a GCSE grade.
I’ve been considering Law, Economics, Marketing, History but I’m not 100% sure what I’d like to do. If I’d struggle with managing all, would it be possible for me to drop one? If yes, would I still obtain a grade?

You would be able to drop A-levels, and you could still obtain a grade if you do the AS paper instead, but it depends on what your sixth form or college do in these situations.
Reply 7
Original post by flowersinmyhair
You would be able to drop A-levels, and you could still obtain a grade if you do the AS paper instead, but it depends on what your sixth form or college do in these situations.

Ah ok, thanks for explaining
Reply 8
Original post by swanseajack1
The first issue is you do not need to do 4 A levels as already said. The risk of taking 4 is that you spread your time to thinly causing you to drop grades. Universities always want high grades in 3 instead of lower grades in 4. Basically they want quality over quantity so AAA is considered better than AABB. If you are offered the first and end up with the second there is a strong likely hood of rejection.

If you are going to take 4 subjects then take a subject you will enjoy and do well in.

As far as whether to take Maths it opens more doors than other subject. Most top universities require A level Maths for Maths, Physics, Engineering, Computer Science, Economics and some will want some form of Maths for things like Psychology, Marketing and Business although that might be a GCSE grade.

Thanks a lot for your advice, I’ll make sure to really think about my options :smile:
Reply 9
Yeah I heard that universities will pick your best three grades out of the four, but at my school’s sixth form there are a lot of people who do 4 and seem to manage. Either way, I’ll make sure to speak to my teachers and see what’s best for me. Thank you for your advice!

I definitely get you, it's kinda hard especially when everyones doing it but please only do if you know you can do it, it's not easy so please prioritise yourself, your needs and your mental health. Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest