The Student Room Group

Are extra, but irrelevant, a levels beneficial

Suppose I were to study physics, Maths, FMaths and computer science and applied for a physics degree. Would universities consider a fifth degree in an unrelated a-level, such as politics, redundant or equally as valid as my other a-levels or somewhere in between? Of course, I'm making the assumption that it would have little to no impact on my other a-Level.
Reply 1
Five A levels - a total waste of time.
It wont impress anyone and you are risking all your other grades.
Original post by Jacobjfajsjg
Suppose I were to study physics, Maths, FMaths and computer science and applied for a physics degree. Would universities consider a fifth degree in an unrelated a-level, such as politics, redundant or equally as valid as my other a-levels or somewhere in between? Of course, I'm making the assumption that it would have little to no impact on my other a-Level.

Hi there

It really depends on how strong your grades are, and how likely you would be able to keep up your current grades. It can be risky, as it means you are unable to spend more time on your other subjects.

Whilst having 5 A levels would look really good on your application, perhaps there are other things that may boost your CV (that link to your interest in physics)? For example show casing interest in extra curricular activities. Another thing that would be useful is work experience in a related field of work. (I am not sure about physics in particular, but I believe many employers or Universities will look at relevant work experience.)

I would recommend getting advice from your school's career advisor, since they know your grades and experiences, they will be in a better position to advice you on taking a fifth A level.

Hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest