The Student Room Group

Going to University with ADHD

So never knew I had it until I received my A Level results which was DEE.

So how can I do well at university with ADHD.

Will there be exemptions for me at university.
Original post by Anonymous

You would need to get a formal diagnosis. That would trigger support of various kinds at university, e.g. a quiet room for exams etc depending on your needs, but you would still have to deliver the same level of quality work to get the same grades as other students.

get medicated asap, it's life changing
Reply 3
get medicated asap, it's life changing

I spoke to the doctors about it so I will see.
Reply 4
Original post by Mr Wednesday
You would need to get a formal diagnosis. That would trigger support of various kinds at university, e.g. a quiet room for exams etc depending on your needs, but you would still have to deliver the same level of quality work to get the same grades as other students.

Do you know what kind of help I will get at university if it does become a formal diagnosis?
Do you know what kind of help I will get at university if it does become a formal diagnosis?

That is going to be very person specific, you would need to talk to your departments disability support team so they can work out how to best help you. Search the MH forum on TSR for examples.
Depends on the uni but most of them have a lot of stuff in place for students with adhd/mh conditions, even if you dont have a diagnosis yet. Best thing to do is let them know sooner rather than later so you can see what they offer
Unis tend to have a suppor package that they offer though. You get funded through DSA for this. I got assisted technology. Supporter wprker. Extra time.. They help but nevertheless university was a challenge just like schooling bit honestly support can make the journey easier.
I had autism and MH problems

Quick Reply

Latest