The Student Room Group

Going to uni with mental health struggles

Hello! I will be starting my foundation course at uni this coming September. I think my main worries going into it are how I am going to cope / manage with my mental illnesses when at uni. My DSA has been approved so knowing I have that aspect helps but otherwise, I’m worried about how I will manage settling in and engaging with others / making friends. For context, I have PTSD and struggle with quite severe anxiety for various reasons, particularly socially. I also don’t drink so I have concerns about feeling out of place due to that. My anxiety can get really bad to the point where I can have phases where I really struggle to leave the house sometimes which obviously won’t be ideal when I have uni to attend to etc. I’m at a place with it where I know that going to uni and staying in the halls is the best thing for me despite my struggles but of course they are still going to exist and I was just wondering how others in similar positions have navigated this or have any tips? Is it something you just get used to? Is it better to hide my anxiety from my flatmates or be open about it? etc. (Therapy isn’t an option for me right now as my last past experience is a huge part of what has contributed to this anxiety.)
go to uni, sign up to some clubs/social activities, do not isolate yourself this will increase anxiety. There will be a wellbeing centre at uni so find out where this is and there will be 24 hours help line that you can call when over anxious.
you will make friends, i can assure you, just take small steps, one day at a time.

Quick Reply

Latest