The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Computer Science GCSE Math

Hi I want to apply to UOL 2024, I meet the A Level grade requirements but I got a 4 in GCSE Math and it says on the entry requirements a grade 5. Will this matter a lot during my application or will they be lenient?

Thanks
Original post by Anonymous
Hi I want to apply to UOL 2024, I meet the A Level grade requirements but I got a 4 in GCSE Math and it says on the entry requirements a grade 5. Will this matter a lot during my application or will they be lenient?

Thanks

It most likely will matter as they will not be lenient with GCSE grades since you would have had time to resit if you believe you can achieve a grade 5.

I am a current first year BSc Software Engineering student at Leicester.

The Software Engineering course only requires a Grade 4 in GCSE Math, and if you do well in the maths related modules you are able to swap to BSc Computer Science. The first year for Software Eng/Comp Sci is identical apart from one module in the second semester.
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 2
It most likely will matter as they will not be lenient with GCSE grades since you would have had time to resit if you believe you can achieve a grade 5.

I am a current first year BSc Software Engineering student at Leicester.

The Software Engineering course only requires a Grade 4 in GCSE Math, and if you do well in the maths related modules you are able to swap to BSc Computer Science. The first year for Software Eng/Comp Sci is identical apart from one module in the second semester.

Fair enough, thanks for your reply. I am applying to universities for computer science though, can I still apply for software engineering at Leicester and still apply for Computer Science to the other 4 universities or what? Because my personal statement mentions computer science and not software engineering.
Fair enough, thanks for your reply. I am applying to universities for computer science though, can I still apply for software engineering at Leicester and still apply for Computer Science to the other 4 universities or what? Because my personal statement mentions computer science and not software engineering.

Yes you would be able to since they are similar courses. :smile:

As long as you mention your interest or experience in programming (which would cover Comp Sci and Soft Eng) it would be fine.

What A-Levels/BTECs do you currently do if you don't mind sharing?
Reply 4
Yes you would be able to since they are similar courses. :smile:

As long as you mention your interest or experience in programming (which would cover Comp Sci and Soft Eng) it would be fine.

What A-Levels/BTECs do you currently do if you don't mind sharing?

BTEC IT, Business Studies and Computer Science. Yeah I mentioned those in my PS. thank you so much
BTEC IT, Business Studies and Computer Science. Yeah I mentioned those in my PS. thank you so much

No worries, good luck with your application. :biggrin:
Reply 6
No worries, good luck with your application. :biggrin:

hi
im applying for leicester as well for CS, does it matter if i do law, history and sociology because it doesn't specify the subject requirements.
however i did get grade 8 for maths and CS gcse
an i do meet the a level grade requirements.
Original post by studentr.3
hi
im applying for leicester as well for CS, does it matter if i do law, history and sociology because it doesn't specify the subject requirements.
however i did get grade 8 for maths and CS gcse
an i do meet the a level grade requirements.

Yes that is fine. You are taught from the very basics since not every school/college offers CS at gcse/alevel.

Some people have done A-Levels in like Drama, Art and Film Studies and are on the course so you should have no problem receiving an offer.
Reply 8
Yes that is fine. You are taught from the very basics since not every school/college offers CS at gcse/alevel.

Some people have done A-Levels in like Drama, Art and Film Studies and are on the course so you should have no problem receiving an offer.

okayy thankss xx

Thanks

Hi there,

Unfortunately, for our Computer Science course we do ask for a 5/B in Mathematics. However, please do check our course website, for any courses you are interested in with a 4 in Mathematics.

-Anna (UK Student Recruitment Officer)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending