The Student Room Group

Can you have BPD and…

Have never been to hospital for it? Does it need to be that extreme?
Original post by Anonymous

In my limited knowledge of the condition, I would say so.
Reply 2

As in Borderline PD? Then no, you dont need to go to hospital, it is not one of the diagnostic criteria. People are often volatile emotionally, and do regularly present at hospital but not all people do. Every person is different and a diagnosis is just a label not a summary or conclusion on how or who someone is, so there is huge variation in how people are with it.

Dont get caught up on labels.

Greg
Reply 3
In my limited knowledge of the condition, I would say so.

Oh ok, it’s just I feel I could have it idk.

Original post by greg tony
As in Borderline PD? Then no, you dont need to go to hospital, it is not one of the diagnostic criteria. People are often volatile emotionally, and do regularly present at hospital but not all people do. Every person is different and a diagnosis is just a label not a summary or conclusion on how or who someone is, so there is huge variation in how people are with it.

Dont get caught up on labels.

Greg

Yes, it’s just I used to fit all the criteria really (never got a diagnosis) and have tried to hard to get better and would say I fit in with less of the criteria now but I still struggle with intense emotions, rapid change in self and future aspirations etc… and when depressing feelings enter I can feel like self harming , i used to self harm not anymore so I just pinch my wrist to stop myself.
Reply 4
Oh ok, it’s just I feel I could have it idk.

Yes, it’s just I used to fit all the criteria really (never got a diagnosis) and have tried to hard to get better and would say I fit in with less of the criteria now but I still struggle with intense emotions, rapid change in self and future aspirations etc… and when depressing feelings enter I can feel like self harming , i used to self harm not anymore so I just pinch my wrist to stop myself.

You need support, regardless of whether you have a label or not. Your difficulties are the important part, not what is written on your records. Remember to validate yourself, you have and are struggling, and any good person will care regardless of what diagnosis you have or dont have. Take yourself seriously, you wouldnt dismiss a friend who cant walk just because the doctor couldnt find a diangosis to give them. You would focus on the person and how they are feeling, do the same for yourself.

It is amazing to hear you have tried to stop your own self-harm, that must have been really tough. Please speak to your GP or other people in your life, as you are right things have got better but you might still need some support.

Take care,

Greg
Reply 5
I have BPD and I’ve never been in hospital for it, so you don’t always have to
You need support, regardless of whether you have a label or not. Your difficulties are the important part, not what is written on your records. Remember to validate yourself, you have and are struggling, and any good person will care regardless of what diagnosis you have or dont have. Take yourself seriously, you wouldnt dismiss a friend who cant walk just because the doctor couldnt find a diangosis to give them. You would focus on the person and how they are feeling, do the same for yourself.

It is amazing to hear you have tried to stop your own self-harm, that must have been really tough. Please speak to your GP or other people in your life, as you are right things have got better but you might still need some support.

Take care,

Greg

Second speaking to your GP.
Reply 7
If you’re going to your GP I’d also suggest keeping a mood diary, or journal, I got advised to do it, it’s just so they can see how often your moods are changing, and it can help you to identify triggers, it can help them with a diagnosis and can help them to see the best treatments if you need intervention
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 8

Take care,

Greg

Original post by BTom1998
I have BPD and I’ve never been in hospital for it, so you don’t always have to

Second speaking to your GP.

If you’re going to your GP I’d also suggest keeping a mood diary, or journal, I got advised to do it, it’s just so they can see how often your moods are changing, and it can help you to identify triggers, it can help them with a diagnosis and can help them to see the best treatments if you need intervention

Thanks everyone!!! I’m honestly struggling so much but in a few days I’ll be ok. My brain feels like it’s going so fast and my head hurts so much from all the intense thoughts and changing career paths that I wouldn’t do if I was in my normal state. I honestly want it to stop. I sound so crazy and feel so crazy. I dont know what to do
Reply 9
Thanks everyone!!! I’m honestly struggling so much but in a few days I’ll be ok. My brain feels like it’s going so fast and my head hurts so much from all the intense thoughts and changing career paths that I wouldn’t do if I was in my normal state. I honestly want it to stop. I sound so crazy and feel so crazy. I dont know what to do

You don’t sound crazy at all! Everyone goes through a hard time, the most important thing is making sure you have support to get you through it , if it gets too difficult you could always try calling your local crisis team, they’ve helped me a through times when I’ve become too overwhelmed
Reply 10
You don’t sound crazy at all! Everyone goes through a hard time, the most important thing is making sure you have support to get you through it , if it gets too difficult you could always try calling your local crisis team, they’ve helped me a through times when I’ve become too overwhelmed

My boyfriend has no clue of my thoughts either as I have been doing so well for months and I haven’t felt like this with him until now. I really dont like how I feel. I just want to be normal 😭😭😭 I tried messaging samaritans and they helped at the time but my extreme emotions are back. I think it’s because I regret my educational past and want to do better but maybe I have PTSD so that’s why it’s triggering my thoughts?
Idk what to do…. should I just quit education and find a job that I like? But what if I still suffer with intense emotions and constant changing my mind. This doesn’t happen when I’m in my normal state but I have things that trigger me I guess and I can’t control my feelings
My boyfriend has no clue of my thoughts either as I have been doing so well for months and I haven’t felt like this with him until now. I really dont like how I feel. I just want to be normal 😭😭😭 I tried messaging samaritans and they helped at the time but my extreme emotions are back. I think it’s because I regret my educational past and want to do better but maybe I have PTSD so that’s why it’s triggering my thoughts?
Idk what to do…. should I just quit education and find a job that I like? But what if I still suffer with intense emotions and constant changing my mind. This doesn’t happen when I’m in my normal state but I have things that trigger me I guess and I can’t control my feelings

Have you been assessed for autism?
Reply 12
Have you been assessed for autism?

My mum knows I have it but never got a diagnosis:frown:
My mum knows I have it but never got a diagnosis:frown:

Ok. That's annoying. Do you want one? I asked as what you described is unfortunately common for un(formally)diagnosed people and late-diagnosed people. There's a difference between knowing you have it and actively receiving support (whether interpersonally, like a therapist, or through self-understanding) which will actually change your life for the better and lessen symptoms associated with BPD and PTSD/complex PTSD.
Reply 14
Ok. That's annoying. Do you want one? I asked as what you described is unfortunately common for un(formally)diagnosed people and late-diagnosed people. There's a difference between knowing you have it and actively receiving support (whether interpersonally, like a therapist, or through self-understanding) which will actually change your life for the better and lessen symptoms associated with BPD and PTSD/complex PTSD.

Yes, I would love one. I probably will go private because my mum used to try and get help for me as a child but nothing happened apparently so as a 19 year old now, I’ll just have to find some help myself. I have actually referred myself today to a therapy centre 20 mins away from me. I had been given a counsellor at 14-15 at school because of my self-harming and bullying but I wasn’t in a good state to actually talk about my issues. My biological dad who didn’t want to raise me up is also mentally ill so idk if my issues could be genetic or from trauma as when I was four, I remember constantly going to grab the phone and crying and I actually remember feeling heartbroken and confused. I haven’t gone through a lot but I suppose my suspected autism could have contributed to my mental health and bad anxiety. I can’t wait to actually have the chance to speak to a professional now because it’s been so long and my mum and non biological dad don’t understand me at all so it will be nice.
Whilst I was getting bullied, I actually lied a lot about things and made up things I don’t actually know why but that was definitely not me. I was mentally ill and traumatised. But I have now worked on for about four years on myself and I can happily say that I have actually have got my own self back (the self i was before i moved to another school because we moved house and that’s when the bullying started). Ik I made mistakes during my mentally ill stage, and even done risky things like escaped from home to see a dangerous boy that i liked and didn’t want to be abandoned (so these were all BPD symptoms but I never experience that anymore) but I’m now the most caring now and now understand how people feel. I can be really sympathetic and I’m not mentally ill anymore, I just have things that I need to fix like my anxiety and overthinking.
Do I sound like a crazy person?
I’m so sorry for the rant but I just need to express things 😭😭😭
Yes, I would love one. I probably will go private because my mum used to try and get help for me as a child but nothing happened apparently so as a 19 year old now, I’ll just have to find some help myself. I have actually referred myself today to a therapy centre 20 mins away from me. I had been given a counsellor at 14-15 at school because of my self-harming and bullying but I wasn’t in a good state to actually talk about my issues. My biological dad who didn’t want to raise me up is also mentally ill so idk if my issues could be genetic or from trauma as when I was four, I remember constantly going to grab the phone and crying and I actually remember feeling heartbroken and confused. I haven’t gone through a lot but I suppose my suspected autism could have contributed to my mental health and bad anxiety. I can’t wait to actually have the chance to speak to a professional now because it’s been so long and my mum and non biological dad don’t understand me at all so it will be nice.
Whilst I was getting bullied, I actually lied a lot about things and made up things I don’t actually know why but that was definitely not me. I was mentally ill and traumatised. But I have now worked on for about four years on myself and I can happily say that I have actually have got my own self back (the self i was before i moved to another school because we moved house and that’s when the bullying started). Ik I made mistakes during my mentally ill stage, and even done risky things like escaped from home to see a dangerous boy that i liked and didn’t want to be abandoned (so these were all BPD symptoms but I never experience that anymore) but I’m now the most caring now and now understand how people feel. I can be really sympathetic and I’m not mentally ill anymore, I just have things that I need to fix like my anxiety and overthinking.
Do I sound like a crazy person?
I’m so sorry for the rant but I just need to express things 😭😭😭

Hey, that's okay. You're not crazy at all. I'm sorry you had to go through all that. It sounds a lot. You sound like you need a place to vent your feelings and experiences, which is perfectly normal and healthy. Student Room is a good place to do that but therapy would be even better and it's great you've referred yourself. In my experience, when I thought I was getting better but still feeling anxiety or like something was off, there was still another hidden issue that I needed to figure out, process and get support for. So well done :smile: . Even if you're not actively being traumatised now, the trauma will probably still be affecting you and a professional can help you unpick that and heal. As for labels like BPD and even autism, I wouldn't get too het up about putting your negative experiences down to them, and instead focus on what symptoms you had and consider why you might have had them. For example, intense emotions, sudden personality changes/mood swings, depression and self harm can be caused by bullying, feeling broken and misunderstood, or emotional abuse. The point is it could be a lot of different things and it's for you to go on that journey and process these old feelings and experiences. I don't say this to be all dark and negative, but to point out the light at the end of that tunnel which hopefully you can see, but it involves dredging up these often horrible and traumatic memories first. It will be hard and the most important thing is to be kind to yourself throughout. I say this as a person currently going through it.

Quick Reply

Latest