The Student Room Group

I'm really struggling with my mental health. I don't know what I should do about it.

I feel extremely lonely, as I don't really feel that I have any close friends. I've tried meeting people but my social anxiety (undiagnosed) has got much worse over the past few years. Along with this I have also been experiencing paranoias and over the past year they've been getting much more intrusive. Like that certain people want to harm me, feel constant guilt for things that I haven't done and inventing things in my head that haven't happened. I don't know what to do I'm constantly sad and anxious. What should I do about it?
Reply 1
Please go and speak with your GP, or alternatively you can self refer to the NHS for support with your mental health: https://www.nhs.uk/mental-health/talking-therapies-medicine-treatments/talking-therapies-and-counselling/nhs-talking-therapies/

You are not alone in the way you feel, but there are people out there who can help you.
Reply 2
I think you really need to speak to your GP.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I feel extremely lonely, as I don't really feel that I have any close friends. I've tried meeting people but my social anxiety (undiagnosed) has got much worse over the past few years. Along with this I have also been experiencing paranoias and over the past year they've been getting much more intrusive. Like that certain people want to harm me, feel constant guilt for things that I haven't done and inventing things in my head that haven't happened. I don't know what to do I'm constantly sad and anxious. What should I do about it?

As mentioned above, seeking support from a GP could be helpful. They may refer you for talking therapy, which can be helpful for the types of things you've described, such as social anxiety and intrusive thoughts. You don't need to struggle on alone, and there are definitely things you can do that will help you.
Reply 4
Original post by Nerol
As mentioned above, seeking support from a GP could be helpful. They may refer you for talking therapy, which can be helpful for the types of things you've described, such as social anxiety and intrusive thoughts. You don't need to struggle on alone, and there are definitely things you can do that will help you.

Ok I'll try and get an appointed
Reply 5
Please seek help, call your GP for guidance , your local mental health crisis team, but please seek help or get someone you trust a friend/ family member to call for you, write things down and pass it over to them if you feel you cannot tell them verbally.
Reply 6
You an get support and there is a lot of support out there such as:

-The Samaritans, you can call 116 123, which is available 24 hours a day

-Mind, 0300 123 3393

-Saneline, 0300 304 7000, from 4.30pm-10.30pm

-The mix, 0800 808 4994, 11am-11pm

-SHOUT, text 852258, 24 hour text service

-Crises, 741741, text service

-Papyrus, 0800 068 4141, if you have thoughts of suicide or in emotional distress

-Rethink mental health, 0300 5000 927

-No Panic, 0800 138 8889

-relate, they have a chat advisor

There is the mind forum

Also Facebook groups

You can join support groups

You can contact a crises team if things get very bad

Plenty of resources online, information regarding well being
Reply 7
Original post by JohnB1
Please go and speak with your GP, or alternatively you can self refer to the NHS for support with your mental health: https://www.nhs.uk/mental-health/talking-therapies-medicine-treatments/talking-therapies-and-counselling/nhs-talking-therapies/

You are not alone in the way you feel, but there are people out there who can help you.

This is going to sound stupid probably but I'm very confused with how all the NHS stuff works I don't really understand how to get an appointment
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
This is going to sound stupid probably but I'm very confused with how all the NHS stuff works I don't really understand how to get an appointment

It's not silly. You need to click through a couple of pages, which then takes you to this page:
https://www.nhs.uk/service-search/mental-health/find-an-NHS-talking-therapies-service/what-happens-when-you-refer-yourself

Hopefully that helps?

Quick Reply

Latest