The Student Room Group

Law or non-law degree?

I want to practice law but I’m unsure if pursuing a law degree will be the best option, as generally people tend to say that it’s really hard to do well in a law degree.
I feel like it’s better to do a non law degree (and then the conversion course) because a first would be more achievable, than a law degree and not doing super well in it. Plus, if I end up getting into a top uni, it’s going to be even harder.
I’m not sure if I’m overestimating how difficult it is, and also I think studying law might be fun.
I recently started to consider doing a sociology degree instead, as I do the subject at A level and find it really easy and interesting (but obviously it’ll be different at degree level). I haven’t done a lot of research into sociology degrees so I don’t know if it would be a good idea

Does anyone have any advice?
My first piece of advice is that I would not recommend doing any degree because you think it will be 'easy', nor do I think you should specifically avoid a law degree because you think it will be 'hard'. In terms of recruitment and prospects of obtaining a training contract or pupillage, whether you do a law degree or non law degree and convert does not matter at all. For quite a long time now the number of new trainees and pupils with law and non law degrees has been about even.

That means that you need to make the right decision for you. A law degree being 'hard' is not a good reason, not least because you can't actually avoid studying law. The GDL is a much more intense year of study than any individual year on a law degree, and whilst you may be better equipped to deal with that after three or four years at university, the fact remains that you have to study law at some point. I actually didn't enjoy studying law at all, and studying for a law degree is very, very different to practising as a lawyer. So not doing a law degree because you might not be suited to it is fine. I do think that most of those who have realistic ambitions of becoming lawyers should be able to apply themselves and do well in a law degree irrespective, but it's not for everyone. However, if you are going down the non law degree route I would certainly recommend something that you are actively interested in, and something which you think will actually benefit you. Sociology may be something you're interested in, but will it benefit you? I see a lot of non law degrees on pupillage applications, but they tend to be the likes of History, English, languages etc. I don't see a lot of so called 'softer subjects'. I think the reason for that is simply that not many candidates who are serious about being lawyers (or barristers, at least) realistically see studying those subjects as being a part of their development.

But again, that may be different for you, and if you genuinely do see a Sociology degree as being part of that for you, then fine. But what you really need to avoid is trying to somehow find a shortcut through this process. That's how your post comes across, and I'm afraid that simply isn't possible. Law is a competitive career path which requires you to apply yourself well and continuously develop relevant skills over a period of years. It doesn't require you to study a law degree, but it does require you to have the drive and ambition to deal with that competition, and to continually better yourself. Trying to find an easy route in simply isn't compatible with that. So as I say, this isn't me telling you not to do a Sociology degree, or to do a law degree. What to study is your own choice, but make it for the right reasons and with a realistic view as to the demands of the career path that you're starting down.
Original post by srb_16
I want to practice law but I’m unsure if pursuing a law degree will be the best option, as generally people tend to say that it’s really hard to do well in a law degree.
I feel like it’s better to do a non law degree (and then the conversion course) because a first would be more achievable, than a law degree and not doing super well in it. Plus, if I end up getting into a top uni, it’s going to be even harder.
I’m not sure if I’m overestimating how difficult it is, and also I think studying law might be fun.
I recently started to consider doing a sociology degree instead, as I do the subject at A level and find it really easy and interesting (but obviously it’ll be different at degree level). I haven’t done a lot of research into sociology degrees so I don’t know if it would be a good idea

Hi,

My best advice to you is that do a degree in something which you are passionate about because getting a degree in any subject is challenging but not impossible it is all about having that drive, determination and having a passion for the subject. If you fell passionate about law then do a law degree- no matter how difficult it is if you are truly passionate about it you will love studying it and you'll love your job as a solicitor or a barrister or a police officer, etc afterwards. Law is an interesting, intellectually stimulating and brilliant subject to have a degree in, in my opinion. Doing a conversion course after doing a non-law degree is equally as difficult as doing a law degree and then moving onto postgrad in my opinion. I hope this helps :smile:.
Reply 3
Original post by srb_16

Hey!

I think that if you want to pursue a career in law, then doing a law degree would be the way to go. Law is a challenging field and your degree will push you a lot. However, remember that law firms are looking for a 2:1 minimum, which is achievable if you put in the work and effort. Before committing to law, I would do some research on what trainees do so that you have an idea of what your career after law would require you to do. I would recommend Commercial Law Academy's course on "Introduction to commercial law" offers great introduction into the tasks that trainees do such as due diligence, doc review, etc.
Reply 4
Honestly, I'd suggest you do a non-law degree. It's such a dull myth that all lawyers must study law - only 50% of them do in all Magic Circle firms. If studying law doesn't excite you or make you interested, do something else. If there is even an inkling of 'maybe I should study something else', then study something else! Don't study law just to become a lawyer, it's unnecessary and it would be so much better just doing what you love.
Original post by Kb00
Hey!

I think that if you want to pursue a career in law, then doing a law degree would be the way to go. Law is a challenging field and your degree will push you a lot. However, remember that law firms are looking for a 2:1 minimum, which is achievable if you put in the work and effort. Before committing to law, I would do some research on what trainees do so that you have an idea of what your career after law would require you to do. I would recommend Commercial Law Academy's course on "Introduction to commercial law" offers great introduction into the tasks that trainees do such as due diligence, doc review, etc.

There are so many inaccuracies in this post that I can't help but feel that it was only written to advertise Commercial Law Academy. The advice about researching the career you want to go into is sound, but those choosing between a law and non law degree can confidently ignore the rest of this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending